Got a US R1F!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Loaf., Oct 22, 2006.

1. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

imho, but do search for and read many other opinions from other more qualified people, but ever since i switched over to ntfs, my systems have been much more stable.

It is true that gaming is faster on fat32, but only moderately, n it's probably the main reason why asus do it, to get higher performance scores. (but i still love the company, this is not a ***** session)

The performance I lose, is far made up for with overall file system stability, fasted defrag, the irritations of trying to connect a fat32 device to ntfs or the other way round.

Sure when windows 95,98 + ME were the norm and when NT + 2k were just for professionals, then fat32 was more popular, and partly to blame for the unreliability of the operating system.

NTFS is pretty much the top reason why NT, 2k, n XP Pro have been so reliable.

I am actually scared to find out if windows xp home actually runs fat32.

Oh n about the guy who thinks that partitioning is a bad idea, ehm.. if u have even a 120gb hard drive, trying to defrag that sucker is actually gonna take a lot longer, than trying to degfrag a 20gb partition of just the Os and the software.

For overall system performance u need the partition with ur Os on it to be regularly defraged.

Right now I have massive space issues, and system perf. drops massivley when the data on my OS partition exceeds 15% (the bare minimum needed to defrag a drive)

The solution is to keep on throwing files n data onto the other hard drives (one of which is a partition of the same drive, which is actually just full of data n has only 235mb free, but if the os partition is able to be defraged, sys. perf. is almost taken back up to normal.. without doing this, there is a huge difference in speed n efficiency)

But this is just my EXP. and personal opinion. It's what works for me, but if u have no problems and u haven't had to reinstall windows on a fat 32 machine in over a year, then i'd say that m'sloth finally cleaned up their act a lil in that dept., but i know I had a ntfs system running for 3 years flat out without a reinstall, n thats why, when i finally get my R1F, i'll play with it at first, but then reformat to ntfs.

But go n read what other people have to say.

I'm new here, this is my first post.

My name is Jobbo.. and these are my stories... lol

2. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

I like your signature... or at least the last night of your first post - welcome!

NTFS - you're 100% right, but it's still not for everyone.. I don't know why, but it's just not... but all gaming and benchmarks are still shown on fat32 drives if they want the best numbers. But if you read what I've said before.. they've been doing this for year like this and an old friend of mine that used to be on techtv said that you can go from fat32 to ntfs - once - and not the other way around and basically the only bad thing is that doing it that was instead of ntfs from the get go is a little more space being taken up..... that's why there is the ntfs converter on your desktop of your new unit.... or I say, what you will see.

3. mattj

Thanks mate. I'm an Aussie, so i shouldn't have troubles getting one of these babies.

Yeh wwell maybe fat32 will increase performance just a lil bit, which improves the use of the product over ntfs, n thats the reason why.

I didn't see a drop in performance when i switched to ntfs, cause i changed from a normal drive setup to 2 sata drives in a raid array, but maybe fat32 isn't just a lil faster for games, it's a lil faster for overall perf. who knows?

Only have one last issue that I was gonna adress with you, n that was yet another question about the onboard graphics card.

I'm a student of Industrial design n will predominantly be using the R1F for sketch rendering (cause i go thru way too much paper and markers these days) a lil bit of CAD n rendering, the odd game, movies etc..

I'm not aiming for the thing to replace my current PC, but i will be away on holidays from my pc n need to get working on my portfolio. Also I spend way too much time in transit, so i am desperate need of a lappy.

Right now I got a pretty old n cheap vid card in the main pc. It's a Radeon 9250, with 128mb onboard. But it's actually plenty for the sorta cad work i do, n plays games fine enough for me.

I'm sure the R1F will be able to open cad software, cause i actually had cad software running on an ancient laptop with an S3 vid card. I could open the software, maybe draw a curve, extruce a surface, but beyond that it would take about 40 seconds to do just 1 move lol.

I really think the R1F should be very sufficient for me and probably just as fast as my current pc. I don't have time to play Halflife 2, but if the R1F can handle halflife 1 pretty fast, then thats all the speed i need graphics wise.

What are your thoughts?

Jobbo.

4. PROPortable

I think you should be good... I forget the software I've got, but I've got to find it for you... I used it for architecture school on a tablet of mine... it was a drawing program... I think it was sketch up?

5. mattj

Ah yes, i know sketchup. I've tried it b4, but it's really for architecture, not Industrial design.

I think google bought it. It's free tho. I'll prolly have a play with it on the holidays again if i get bored, cause it was fun to play with. I actually wish they made an organic version for Industrial, cause the interface was simple n easy to use.

Thanks anyways and thanks for that final lil bit of reasurrance.

Jobbo

6. PROPortable

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, because it was deffinately an organic sketch program..... I loved it because it kept your various leads at markets and highlighters at hand and after a little while really replaced your sketch book......

7. mattj

alias sketchbook pro?

artpad?

painter?

these are the 3 that i think best simulate real drawing n sketching.

8. PROPortable

that's it... it was an alias product... but yeah, sketchbook pro - that's it. I love it.

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't forget Pixarra's Twistedbrush.

It has absolutely hundreds of pre-made brushes/art sets.

10. PROPortable

Never used twistedbrush... I'll have to check that out.