Got a US R1F!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Loaf., Oct 22, 2006.

1. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

.... but again, something that's sort of personal... anyone who wants to change it certainly should know or have access to figure out how.

2. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

well yeah ok 'hate' is kind of strong word, i should rather say i dislike it! and that is because i don't like seeing a lot of subfolders in the my computer menu while using windows explorer. i partitioned my desktop drive i really didn't like it afterwords so i didn't partition my laptop for that reason. also i access a lot of files and if i divide into drives for pictures, programmes, games, movies, data etc etc i'll be constantly changing between drives. instead i'd prefer to see all the folders below c:\ and i can easily access them, its just my personal preference. And yeah i actually back up my data frequently on DVD's.

3. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, thats what I ended up doing, changing the partitions to a more reasonable 25/40 split rather than the kind of unusual default. Speaking of backing up things, I tried to start incremental backups using MS OneCare and it told me that my DVD-R was not a valid media for the multi-DVD drive. I thought that was odd and tried a CD-R. Didn't work either - did I break the drive by allowing windows to self-update itself or is there a firmware problem?

4. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I will never, ever understand why people partition single drives. I can't think of one reason why it's helpful in the real world.

Backup is another issue all together. Very few people seem to do it on a regular basis...so regardless of how you partition a drive, if there's no backup...there's going to be some pain.

5. PROPortable

Never used one care - don't know if I ever will... The drive can certainly take anything.. it's a super multi drive, so it'll take everything you throw at it.. just not sure how that program works... doubt you screwed anything up though.

In terms of partitions... are you serious about wondering why people partition a single drive? Well, if you have two drives, would it then be ok to partition them? I'm going to assume you just mean partition at all is something you don't understand -- is that correct? Because if that's the case, you must think the only thing that can go wrong with a drive is that it dies.. and if it does, you're SOL anyway -- is that correct? Because there's more that can and does happen. If for instance you get a virus that you can't do anything about.... let's just say.... If you need to format, if you have your data on another partition on that drive, the format will only wipe off that designated partition. This means that you can wipe your system clean, reinstall drivers and software and still have all of your data that's remained untouched. I don't think not "understanding" is even an acceptable answer. This isn't are you pro-life or pro-choice.... it's more are you pro-not wearing a seat belt.... that's exactly what it comes down to. I don't think there are any fake world situations to talk about... but in the real world, drives typically last a few years.... there are a dozen things a day that could corrupt your OS or drivers to the point of not even being able to start up your system. It doesn't mean you need to lose your data. Even if you had two hard drives - more common in a desktop, unless you're running an OLD, small hard drive for the OS, it's dumb to put data you can't replace on the same partition as your OS just because of what could happen...... So, you'd be more apt to put data on another drive, I understand that. However, would you then say that you'd put your OS and software on the "c:" drive and nothing else? Even if that drive was a 200-300-500gb drive and the OS and software only took up a max of 9-10gb total?

Sorry if I come up outraged, but it's really bad practice and if you don't understand it, I'd rather make you understand it because one day find yourself in a situation that points it out to you and I never like to see anyone get hurt or lose something, etc - especially if I have a chance to help before hand.

6. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

got my R1F yesterday too! Thanks Justin!!

i was wondering why the R1F comes with FAT32... instead of NTFS... is there a good reason for that?

7. PROPortable

Another thing you'd learn from me if you ever headed over to the notebook side..... in fact, you guys really should because you'll learn a lot more about Asus on a whole and the R1 is just as much notebook as it is tablet.....

Fat32 is still faster - gamers still prefer it.
    Through windows, you can change a Fat32 drive to NTFS (once), but not the other way around. There's a link on the desktop which brings up the dos window to do it.

In my experience, it just takes up a bit more room than if formatted that way from the get go, but it's still a good way to appeal to the masses out of the box.

8. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When the data is backed up, there's no need for multiple partitions, period. Let's just agree to disagree. I'd hate to think you're down there feeling outraged :)

9. PROPortable

Agreeing to disagree is something down by two people who think they're right and in this situation I know I'm right and I also know you can't be wrong - but you can certainly not appreciate good practice.

... multiple partitions go right along with good backup practices. Having to format out a 10gb parition takes a lot less time than a 160gb partition - or a desktop where we could be looking at 500gb or more. But, likewise, with a laptop, you may not be connected to your backup drive or server all the time.... and you do work everyday - I would imagine. So, unless you're backing up every second of every day..... you're only as good as your last back up. Even still, if you corrupt the OS and need to format, having your data on another partition still keeps you from having to copy it back from the backup.... especially if you don't have immediate access to it - it's not like this happens at the perfert time - like while you're at home after you just did a full backup and handed in that big report........ it'll happen at the worst time. Now, if your drive died or your data got infected - that's another story.

... It's like not wearing a seat belt because you have an airbag.... they're better when used in conjuction with each other.

Again, you're not wrong, you're right in what you say... you just refuse to understand the full story..... You hate paritions and it's your computer.... I don't care about you.... I do however care about others that might take your advice... that's all :) Go be a rebel.... it might be a way you get a rush, I have no idea.

10. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

just wondering.. if i were to convert my drive to NTFS using that dos program.. would i lose all the data (ie. a format)?

isn't there a problem with copying something from NTFS to FAT32 or something like that? there was SOME compatibility issue, but i don't quite remember since it's been a while since my last computer. heh