Got a US R1F!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Loaf., Oct 22, 2006.

1. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Today, while on my lunch break, the Fedex man dropped off my R1f! Too bad I'm busy with stuff at the University the next few days, but from first impressions its not a bad machine at all. Decent build, good quality finish.

I'll post a full review and pictures of it sometime this weekend.

2. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

.... not bad isn't something I've ever heard from someone talking about a new Asus, especially a higher end model.... You'll need to take another look :)

Enjoy.

3. saranya

saranya Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah, "not bad" is what i wanted to here while waiting for mine to come in. I was hoping to not have that "not bad" feeling like when I got my w3j.

4. Tsukiyomi

Back from class, but still not much time. Its a lot more than just not bad, it compares well to my brother's Fujitsu tablet ( I forgot which model ). Just a few things I've tried so far - start up time is decent, but not blindingly fast, screen looks quite bright to me, the pen indeed does get scratched in the silo, the screen does not wobble to any noticable degree in its normal state, only if nudged. There are some things that confuse me, like why does it have a small data partition with 6 GBs in it while the rest of the drive is 65 GBs with a 2 GB recovery partition, it does come installed with a lot of start up programs, but most are disable-able and possibly even desireable.

Write more later, got a lab to get to

5. PROPortable

Well the boot up is going to be as fast as anything else.. honestly once you get into windows actually booting, all the stuff that will load are really things most people would want... so you're not going to get it to boot faster than any other notebook... unless you left it in standby - which is also an option -

In terms of the drive... why is bad to have a 6gb data partition, 2gb for recovery the rest left open? It's really not... I usually set my systems up that way.... 6-10gb for software and everything else for documents, pictures, movies, etc. Am I confused or are we just on different pages because it's usually good to have a set up like that.

6. Tsukiyomi

What i got confused on was why did it have only 6 GB for data, and have 65 gb for programs - with the programs on the 65, I typically break my drives down into a 60/40 to program ratio. I just think it would have been better with a larger data drive. But no worries. I like this machine =)

7. PROPortable

Oh, ok... yeah, that doesn't make sense, but then again, I think all of the drives typically come the same way.... I just never use the stock drives when I'm using the systems because I often swap one hard drive from system to system if I swap for the day..... You could change that with partition magic or something... I would.

8. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

hey wait a second what are you guys talking about partitioned hard drives??

does the R1F really come with a partitioned drive?? man i hate partitioned hard drives.

also what does 6gb for data mean? can i store something else on that drive, also can i store data on the main 65gb drive.

i assume if its just a regular partition then whats the meaning of a 'data partition' and a 'programme partition'?

9. PROPortable

Hate? That's a strong word.... actually anyone who doesn't use a some sort of partition is actually someone I wouldn't call very smart. Don't take offense, but those same people are usually the ones that don't back things up or think anything can actually happen to them. It's common practice to keep your OS and software seperate from your irreplacable data.... If you ever get a virus or corrupt something or just in general need to format, if you're dealing with a single partition, kiss everything goodbye.

I usually leave close to 10 for the OS an software, then seperately partition off pictures/movies from documents and then have one for backup.

.... I just want to know why you hate partitioned drives... that's all. I really hope it's for a better reason than I usually hear which is "I paid for a such and such c: drive and I have three smaller c, d, e drives" ... I really, really hope that's not why, but I'd love to hear the reason.

10. saranya

saranya Pen Pal - Newbie

have to agree with proportable, any window's user who doesn't partition a drive is asking for trouble. back when they were only 2-3gb drives...sure why partition but when they break the 100gb to the 400+gb mark...it's just not smart to have it as one huge partitioin.

on my w3j, it was default partitioned 60/20. Kind of weird that they would have it so disproportioned on the r1f.