GoPro 10 - Do we trust anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by excalibur1814, Sep 16, 2021.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I know, I've owned each GoPro since the 5, including the session, so I'm not sure why I keep on repeating the pain.

Another year and there's another GoPro. Joy. Yay.

Visits Engadget and The Verge. Reads the reviews. Visits Youtube. Watches four 'highly subscribed' channels. No issues.

Hang on. Watches a few more videos. Oh, ah, okay, there you go. It 'possibly' has overheating issues. Great, big, silly overheating problems. Heck, GoPro hasn't even FIXED the crackling audio issues on the 9 and I should know, as I own TWO of the things. One was bought upon release, with the second purchased last month.

My issue is with BIG name Youtubers and especially Engdaget / The Verge. These people and writers surely have some type of obligation to actually TELL the truth? I recall watching a whole heap of GoPro 9 vids and most glazed over the terrible touch issues, the slow performance and crashes. Thankfully, mostly fixed, but what about the audio? Or, obviously, there aren't any issues and I'll soon find out either way.

We should, more or less, ignore all mainstream reviews, all mainstream youtubers, for the first month and THEN read reviews and videos. You eventually hear some honesty.

Anyway, I'm still going to buy the 10, due to the 9's audio issues. Oh well. A fool and his money... .

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    nyb72 and JoeS like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah it's really tough to get credible user reviews for just about anything. Obviously the big tech blogs are not going to run into edge cases the same way a few people out of thousands of users will. But then trying to find the right forum, or the right non-paid for Amazon review is a big challenge. Pretty frustrating. I hope GoPro 10 is the crackle-free unicorn!

excalibur1814 likes this.
  3. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I ignore those big site reviews, or read them to laugh at them.
    TBH, I feel like I get the most credible info on this site.

excalibur1814 likes this.
  4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Really just ignore the major technology news sites and largest YouTubers. They make their living by fighting to be first to cover something, but by the time you watch/read their content have already moved onto the next thing (as their strategy requires). This makes such 'reviews' often just third-party sales pitches or sales pitches hiding behind the veneer of a review. And they rarely revisit devices.

The Verge are even worse in this regard as they really love to insert their opinions into their 'reviews'.

There are some sizable reviewers out there that put more thought and time into their reviews. You'll probably need to watch/read several if you want full coverage of a product as many only review products according to their preferences/specialities.

For action cameras, the only reviewer that I follow who covers them is DC Rainmaker.

JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah he's great, I used to read his huuuuge reviews of Garmin watches. And of course Lisa / Mobiletechreview is the go-to trusted source for all things table and laptop.

Tams likes this.
  6. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Recently he was (rightly) been tearing into Whoop. It's quite funny. But he also wears a Whoop band daily so is more than happy to big up products for what they do do well and gives most things a decent shot.

I remember the Samsung Gear Sport being so bad that he gave up on it in the end though. And I don't think Samsung ever got around to fixing it.