Google's Chrome OS Could Replace Android on Full-Size Tablets

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Ben, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben

Ben Pen Pal - Newbie

2. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

Chrome isn't very touch oriented, whereas android has been since it's beginnings. I don't see the Chrome os replacing android on tablets large or small anytime soon. After a little research, it appears that a large majority of Chromebooks are sold into education markets, and the total sales for last year, were maybe a million units. They took a larger share of notebook sales, and I guess getting into the education market can be lucrative. But I don't think many average consumers are looking to buy Chromebooks, myself.

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

I agree that the fact that Chrome was designed to be used with a mouse not a finger is one of the weaknesses of this theory. However, if it's running on a fairly large screen -- 10-inches or so -- few screen elements will be so small that they can't be handled with a fingertip.

Consider Windows tablets: people like me run apps on these that weren't designed for touchscreens all the time. While I do run into apps that are hard to use, it happens less often than you might think. If I run into a Windows app that's too hard to use with a fingertip I pull out a mouse. Chrometab* users could do the same.

If Chrome tablets get popular then there will be pressure on developers to modify their software to run better on touchscreen-based computers.

*A notebook running Chrome is a Chromebook, so a tablet running this OS must be a Chrometab.

4. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

If they are aimed at students, I think making a "Note" style tablet would make it viable even if the Chrome OS isn't super touch friendly. Saying that it will replace Android is probably a little much though.

5. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought a chrome book, it's nothing wonderful! The hardware is really nice, but the lag while doing the most basic things in a document is unbearable. Printer selection is crap. There was a lot I wanted to like, but in the end I just wish the BIOS wasn't locked so I could install a real OS. Android is currently 1000 times better in real world useage areas with real world offline functional applications. With the later processors in the Android devices, speed is not an issue.

Now if someone in the USA doesn't believe me and would like to buy my chromebook, I'd be happy to sell it for a reasonable fee. Its an older Samsung series 5 (xe500c21) that I recently bought. You can install Ubuntu, but I need a Redhat style Linux and I haven't found one that runs on Intel processors.

6. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

7. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

It's a depressing thought, wish it was going the other way around with Android going onto traditional laptops as I still think Android is 1000 times more functional than ChromeOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.