Google Officially Gives Up On Tablets

Discussion in 'Google' started by dellaster, Jun 20, 2019.

1. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Pretty amazing given that they own a huge portion of the phone market with a vast collection of touch friendly apps. It looked like their long game was taking that huge Android market share and use it to infiltrate large-screen applications, like Android app support in ChromeOS and some quality tablets.

I’m not sure Chromebooks will be as efficient at getting developers to adapt their apps for larger screens. I guess we’ll see!

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Could it be that we will see a new segment; ChromeTabs?

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well I can say that both the nexus 9 and the pixel slate were/are disasters and were more like Alpha hardware upon release. The pixel slate has gotten much better since release but is still subpar compared to almost any other tablet with detachable keyboard out there.

And again what puzzles me is that Google can make great hardware. The Pixelbook is top notch albeit expensive.

What's weird though, is that HP for instance has a quite competent device in the their chromebook X2 which is more like a Surface book 2 in execution with a rigid keyboard/trackpad base. it's actually pleasant to use as a tablet detached from the base with the biggest issue being the lack of tablet optimized android apps.

Pulling out my crystal ball I don't think Google will permanently walk away from this space. Apple is making huge inroads with key decision makers with the latest iPad pros and I can't see Google being ok with that long term.

JoeS likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think Google's efforts in the tablet space were incredibly lackluster. I also don't think much of Chromebooks either. Maybe with Google sitting on the sidelines for now in the Android market, ODMs like Samsung will continue plodding along with its tablets, accidentally making a great one from time to time.

artistebot, dstrauss and dellaster like this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If they are seeing anything like what we are, the opposite will happen. It's a whole lot less work to make a web app than an android tablet optimized one and the compatibility is far better too.

I think Google may be missing the forest for the trees though. Apple is working to make their stuff both as seamless across devices and yet optimized for the form factor too. In an enterprise situation, that's a good story.

7. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Key word "Accident" !

Bronsky likes this.
  8. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In fact, what is important for us is the pen. And only one company is doing them with our prefered pens the wacom one: Samsung

The only idea that Samsung have not yet explored is a dual boot: android windows
    And what I would preferis a dual active os. Windows and android working at the same time, with an easy way to switch between them using the same storage memory.

If Samsung does it in 8", I would buy one whatever a decent price (not like the dual screen)

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

They did explore it, with the Ativ Q, but rumor is that Google didn’t like this iirc, and the product never launched.

10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

From the wiki:
    "both Microsoft and Google were restricting devices from being shipped with both of their operating systems at once in order to protect their respective market shares and application ecosystems..."

Another brilliant strategy that worked out so well for both of them. :)

UWP never achieved application critical mass; Android never achieved true productivity.

And while MS and Google were busy killing off the natural marriage of their strengths, Apple quietly obliterated both of them with the IPP.

Well done! :thumbsup:

Tams, bloodycape, Kumabjorn and 4 others like this.