good buy now?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by ultra99, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ultra99

ultra99 Scribbler - Standard Member

would it be advisable to buy the tablet + stylus now or should I wait for something else? it's been out for a while so there might new version around the corner?

2. kitnb

kitnb Pen Pal - Newbie

There's always something "better" just around the corner. If you sit around always waiting for the next best thing you'll have nothing, ever.

With that said, I purchased my DV8P and stylus about 6 weeks ago and I'm loving it! I'm fully aware that in a few months a new version will be announced and/or released. I'll decide whether to sell my current DV8P and buy the new one or stick with what I have now. That's my choice but in the meantime I'm enjoying a great little tablet (and stylus). :)

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

3. kitnb

kitnb Pen Pal - Newbie

BTW, you can pick up a brand new DV8P for $99 at a Microsoft Store Opening or buy a gently used DV8P for a little more than that from any number of places. So even if a new model is released next month, you haven't invested much money and can recoup a large part of your funds.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

dceggert likes this.
  4. tk76

tk76 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, the price is great right now. It will be a while before you can get a newer model for the $150 you can typically find it at the Dell outlet when they have an active coupon code (every few weeks.)

The bigger issue is that Windows 8.1 tablets and Metro are sort of s work in progress, and feel much less polished then IOS or Android. But is a great toy if you like to tinker with it, as having access to native/legacy windows apps opens up a world of possibilities. But noth ever seems to work great without a learning curve and a bit of fidgeting. Even seemingly basic features like power, hooking up a monitor and navigating desktop apps all require some work arounds- sometimes complicated ones.

5. ultra99

unfortunately, i'm in canada, so MS store don't have them, and the lowest price i could it is 280-300 CAD. Also, dell outlet is not available in canada. Should I look into refurbed on ebay?

6. tk76

tk76 Pen Pal - Newbie

Woot sells refurb models, but not as good a deal as the dell outlet... but I guess Woot does not ship to Canada either But honestly, I would not pay full retail (300) for this tablet. Ebay might be a good option as long as you are under warranty. Also, Lenovo sometimes has the Miix 8 in their outlet. Tigerdirect and Microcenter have low prices, but they also migbt not ship to you.

7. ultra99

curious, why?

8. nerdteddy

nerdteddy Scribbler - Standard Member

Because there are always deals to be had, even at Dell online store, for a brand new item.

9. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

If you could get a 64GB refurb on ebay, or from a reputable forum member here for maybe $150-$200 (US Dollars), then it's certainly worth checking out. As noted above, this is not as polished as iOS or even Android, and feels like a bit of a work in progress. Yes, new models will probably come out but they won't be anywhere near as cheap, and the performance jump will probably be minimal. And really, it is the software not the hardware that is limiting things right now. Given such a low level of investment, why not?

After using mine for the last four months, I'm glad I have it and I've used it more days than not to surf the web, read a book, check email. I've used the stylus to take notes on several occasions and that was decent. I also added a folio/keyboard (Fintie X) for like $30 and have been able to leave my laptop at home during a few quick business trips; that was nice too. But I've also realized that I may want an iPad Air or Mini for a much nicer reading experience and access to more and better apps. But that's a much bigger investment.

10. gammite

gammite Scribbler - Standard Member

i find it extremely amusing that people are still wondering if a tablet that you can fit in your pocket that runs full windows and has office included is worth 200 bux or is still a good buy.

office home and student by itself is 129 i believe. and you have a full desktop o/s that is enabled for touch that you can fit in your pocket. i am not even 40 yet and just 10 years ago this was unheard of.

yes its a good buy. lol. smh.