Going to Buy a R1E, after the returned Tx2000

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jdwilson, Apr 28, 2008.

1. b3atofang3l

b3atofang3l Pen Pal - Newbie

hey, i have been looking around and the R1E is a little above my price range but i'll manage.

The version I am about to buy is the R1E-B1 with the extra battery.

I have two questions before I make my order:

1) From what I am reading in these forums, everyone seems to have problem with the R1E/F cursor being stuck at the corners. However, people who read these forums are obviously the ones who have the problem. So in simple terms my question is: "what are the chances of getting this mouse problem, is it apparent in every machine". I refuse to believe that every machine have this problem or else Asus will lose a sh*tload of money.

2) Is the laptop hot?

P.S. can anyone who has the R1E comment one wether or not they have the problem and have or have not solved it.

Any input would be great, I don't want to return it like my TX2000.

THANKKKKS A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1) Not everyone has the problem. I suspect that it's probably a small percentage. It also seems fixble for many with a mb replacement.

2) I don't think it's any more hot than other laptops of it's type.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Any core 2 Duo Machine is going to run hot, that said, the AMD will invariably run hotter.

The R1E is known to have problems from static in the Audio and problems with battery drain.

You might be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

4. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice Pen Pal - Newbie

I was looking at both the Tx2000 and the R1E - and after reading all of the issues people were having, I still decided on the R1E. It is fast - I mean really fast once tweaked (I just recently learned how to do this), which was the main reason I chose this over the tx2000. Aside from the speed - and the slightly larger screen real estate - i cannot imagine why you would sell the laptop you have... The Tx is a nice tablet (with touchscreen to boot...)

5. b3atofang3l

b3atofang3l Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks everyone for the input, this is pretty reassuring. I hope the battery problem and the cursor problem I don't get. For the static sound, it was also on my Tx2000.

6. collegy

collegy Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my R1E since November and couldn't be happier with my decision. It's gorgeous, fast, light weight, and high performing. Truly business oriented (not for gaming). I have the curser getting stuck on the corner of the scree problem every now and then. But it lasts just a minute and goes away. I haven't done anything about it because I really don't think it's a big deal. People have suggested changing some resolution setting on the computer and it's reportedly solved/minimized the problem, but I don't care cause I rarely get the problem.

Gluck and ask me questions.

7. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I have an R1F and when I first got it, the cursor problem "developed" and became pretty severe. I found a freeware software workaround and that solved it. Much later in the process I got a new battery. I upgraded from XP to Vista couple of months ago. I have not had the cursor problem, nor have I reinstalled whatever software workaround I used for XP. Can't say whether it might have been the new battery, the Vista upgrade, or just a change in sunspot activity, but the problem went away.