Going OpenSource

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by Kyle Porter, Jun 8, 2010.

1. nema.arpit

nema.arpit Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like to go as opensource as possible on my tablet.
    I am currently working on Win 7 and Ubuntu is in the pipeline.
    So can any one suggest opensource softwares for following needs:

Note taking
    : I currently work with Journal,but more features would be welcome.

PDF editor: I think I'll need some program to ink in lecture slides.I believe Adobe reader is not helpful enough in this regard?

Sketching,drawing

Office:I currently have open office installed,but does it support inking into presentations?

I'd prefer softwares for linux,coz windows is mainly for gaming :p

Thx in Advance

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Funny statement. If this is really true, then I think your thread would be needless. But you have problems to find productive sotware for Linux, for Windows there you have enough already.

This thread is also better placed in the Linux forum and there are also a few nice threads from Kpvic which contain a few lists about open source software:

Linux Software
    Software Review of Recommended Linux Applications

So if you need a good note taking application, better than Journal then you won't find an open source software.
    For PDF files you can use Jarnal, but it has a pretty poor ink support, much better are Grahl PDF Annotator and Bluebeam PDF Revu, both not open source again and only for Windows.
    Sketching, Drawing: Gimp
    Office: Well, OOo is nice and a good alternative, but MS Office is thousand times better if you want to do more than just the basic things, especially if you need ink support.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. nema.arpit

Ok so it seems i'd have enough free software in ubuntu.
    Are there options in windows as well?

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry, but I don't really understand your post.
    For Windows are tons of software available for ink.
    OOo, Gimp, Jarnal, all work with Windows, too, and Journal is free, so what else do you want?

And if you want to pay for some programs, then you can get much better Windows software and with a bit luck and the right programs you may be able to run them on Linux, too

5. nema.arpit

Sorry,it seems I read over your first post in a hurry and missed some critical points.On rereading carefully,it turns out to have the advice I needed.
    Sorry again for the bother and thanks for the help.

6. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried porting to Linux once because I had nothing but trouble with Vista and I was tired of XP. Unfortunately, I couldn't do it because I couldn't find real alternatives for Onenote. I also missed the extra bells and whistles from power point. I still use Mint 8 just for fun, but Windows 7 seems to have better work-oriented tools available. Don't forget that you can also find tons of open source software for Windows.

7. gohanssjn

gohanssjn Scribbler - Standard Member

You could always load those programs within Linux. At least with Ubuntu I know I used to load Onenote and Word.

8. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

I was able to load Onenote on Ubuntu but the inking didn't work properly. It was just too much trouble. Hence, I only use linux from time to time because I like technology. Otherwise, I just find windows to be more convenient at this point in time.

9. prophetx2

prophetx2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I use open sourced/free software everyday as a developer on my VM's and server, but not on my workstation. You can convert to linux quite easily, but for tablet's you'd be hard pressed to find the support for inking as you have in Windows. Your alternative is to try OSX as it has better support for ink, and you can run ANY *nix or windows program in it..provided your hardware is supported..

10. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I hope you're not implying running OSX on a windows based pc, as that discussion is not allowed on this site.

Those threads I made are rather dated now, but most of them should have updated clients by now.

nema, I don't really see your purpose behind going open source. Is it monetary, support for the developers, or something else? Closed source has it's purpose. I'll be the first Linux junkie to admit that closed source products are in most cases leagues ahead of open source. I like linux because I love a free solution. Without MSDN and having to use Visual Studio, I would not be using closed source software.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015