Going Linux?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by dellaster, Sep 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

I had a Switch but sold it recently. I’m too fond of using, altering, and creating mods. The Switch was just gathering dust.

Yes, I have a 2-SSD dual boot setup. The Linux drive is still there waiting for the next time I feel the urge... or Windows 10 royally ticks me off again. ;)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Well, they did just enable GPU passthrough in the official NVIDIA drivers.

dellaster likes this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. I suppose running Windows games in a virtual machine is more viable now... but it’s still running Windows, so why not stick to my Windows SSD, which is already set up as I like, working really well?

Last week I spent two days attempting Skyrim & Skyrim SE with mods, following all the remaining guides I could find. I tried Crossover (15 day trial) several times in different ways. I tried Lutris again... and again... and yet again, each time with different installers and/or tricks. I tried Wine on its own, building a prefix with all the symbolic links I was supposed to need. That ALMOST worked, but then Mod Organizer 2 couldn’t detect if Steam was running, even though it had no problem with finding the Steam installation & mods, so it would shut down on me.

I give up, again! :mad:

Steam + Proton, Glorious Eggroll’s version, works nicely with an unmodded Skyrim SE. Impressive. Too bad I’m not interested in playing without mods.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, I finally recalled that I have a rather nice case for my Fujitsu Stylistic 2300 --- turns out the RasPad v3 unit fits in it well (including the power supply which is a nice improvement over the previous state) --- will have to see how well I can make things fit/work and what accessories I can fit it out w/.

First is working out which keyboard should be used w/ it. Got a tiny folding one w/ integrated trackpad, but a Lenovo ThinkPad Compact USB Keyboard with TrackPoint seems a better fit.