Going Linux?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by dellaster, Sep 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There doesn’t seem to be a place for discussing an OS that isn’t by Microsoft, Apple, or Google. So into Off Topic this goes.

I was going to report on my success with Linux on my new ThinkPad X1 Extreme 2, and it indeed has gone fairly well. It’s still early stages, nevertheless I was optimistic.

I have had only one hiccup so far when it notified me of important firmware updates from Lenovo then failed to install, saying I had the wrong hardware (?!). Fortunately a search came up with an easy solution hidden within a Reddit thread. Unfortunately I had to search and dig through REDDIT of all places to find the answer, it was 1.5 years old with several others asking about the bug (does nobody ever notice and fix these bugs?), and it required typing an arcane incantation into the Terminal. First time I’ve had to do that (good); yet I’ve a foreboding feeling it’s only the beginning (bad).

Which illustrates one of the reasons the topic is titled Going Linux with a question mark. Things are way better than 15 years ago—with much easier, quicker, trouble-free installs and usage—UNLESS you have an issue due to hardware or software that’s out of the 95% norm. Or if there’s a glitch after a Linux or app update (like X1 Tablet trackpoint support working then disappearing for no known reason after a new kernel was released). Then it can become a complicated task for Linux gurus who live for this stuff. It’s their hobby, their cult, and it feels like they want it to stay difficult for those who aren’t part of their club.

Which brings up the #2 reason for the question mark: the toxic Linux community. No, not all of them and it’s certainly better than it was 15-20 years ago when I last tried Linux a few times. But as for the various Linux forums, TPCR they are not (okay I’m spoiled, but...) Reddit’s Linux subfora are actually among the friendliest and most helpful. That should say a lot.

Then there’s the Linux FOSS purist zealots... let’s not go there for now. :eek:

To sum up, I’m having second thoughts as to whether going Linux will be less stressful and frustrating than dealing with Windows and its infuriating forced Updates with frequent bugs. I haven’t given up, not quite, but things are not currently looking hopeful. I might need to let Linux bake another decade or so.

51E5AA17-FAD2-4879-BF2F-851081F8BF63.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Bronsky likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

:D Very funny. I'm afraid I can't be of much help since my last interaction with anything approaching Linux was running a simulation on Unix in the early nineties.. :eek: It does seem like running Win10 and only installing security patches would be easier. And certainly a larger number of posts all over the internet discussing any problems that come up!

Bronsky and dellaster like this.
  3. dellaster

So, to give Windows a fair chance, I just spent 5 hours installing Win10 2004. “Only” two hours were taken by the initial flash drive install and about a billion Update items (note: Pop!_OS Linux takes about 15 minutes including tweaking the desktop to my preferences).

The other three hours were spent trying to fix the Update 2004 bug that prevents the monitor’s brightness from being adjusted. It stays at full shine regardless of anything. I did every optional driver update (no dice), fooled around fruitlessly following various articles on how to fix it (it’s apparently a common bug out there, lots of different devices affected). Finally I downloaded all of the ThinkPad X1E2 drivers from Lenovo related to the monitor or graphics and installed them all, overwriting 2004’s. It seems that the Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver was the fix, for me. Whew!

That was such a horrid pain that I’m reluctant to go back to Linux, I’ve put so much work into making Windows 10 functional on this laptop. Maybe that was Microsoft’s diabolical plan all along? :eek::vbeek::mad:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  4. dellaster

Linux rules the server world and can work out well in business with fixed deployment and IT support. Home desktop? I have concluded that it still needs to be your hobby to be viable. User friendliness is a thin veneer and when (not if) it’s pierced you need to know what deep geeky things to do.

I’m too interested in other things right now to take up Linux as a hobby. Maybe in the future. So it’s back to Windows. Which can be frustrating and infuriating (e.g. the Updates breaking things) but doesn’t require a time-consuming hobby commitment.

WillAdams likes this.