Going from 32bit to 64bit question

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kingofmyworld324, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingofmyworld324

kingofmyworld324 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone taken their tx from a 32bit os to a 64bit os and gone to 4gb of ram? Have you seen any improvement in performance?

I'm planning on getting windows7 64bit, upgrading from 3gb to 4gb of ram, and getting a 7200rpm hdd.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I just stick to 32bit?

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi kingofmyworld324,

I'm not a tx-series owner, but I'll answer your second question: If you plan to upgrade to 4GB of RAM, a 32-bit OS will not be able to fully utilize all 4GB of RAM due to limitations.

3. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Performance improvement from just the OS change will be negligible (I've seen benchmarks suggest 64-bit is slightly faster and others say slightly slower).

The extra 1GB RAM will depend on what software you run, ie. whether it's maxing the current 3GB RAM or not.

The 7200rpm hdd should make a noticeable improvement, but again it depends on the exact uses of your laptop/tablet.

IMO there's no harm in going to 64-bit (and I'd probably do so for the extra RAM) but don't expect a huge performance increase because there won't be.

If you want to ease the odd compatibility problem (eg. some hardware drivers, AV suites) then by all means stick with 32-bit.

4. kingofmyworld324

OK, I think I'll just stick with 32bit and get the new drive. Anyone have a 7200rpm drive and would care to comment on it? If not, I can easily pick one from newegg.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, btw is there any way to increase the amount of video memory on the tx? I know that on some computers you can change the video aperture in the BIOS or something. Can you do that on the tx?

5. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

I have a Seagate 7200.3 320GB HDD, but earlier this year they released the 7200.4 which has some performance improvements.

You might also want to check out the Hitachi Travelstar's, like the 7K320 or 7K500, etc.

6. kingofmyworld324

Thanks but the seagate reviews are pretty bad http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822148446
    Sounds like you were lucky and got a good unit.

Still I might take my chances because it sounds like a good product when it works.

I might go with this if that one doesn't work out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280
    Can't beat WD's reliability.

7. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

Fujitsu brands for their 7200 RPM's aren't bad as well. I've one here and it will probably last longer than my laptop (which is beaten)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.