Given past release patterns, when is the T4230 likely to come out?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by nexus, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=11870&highlight=t4220+heat
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=10387&highlight=t4220+heat

I'm not too sure what your stds of a normal notebook is... but for my TC4400 it never gets hot. Only warm. By hot, I do not mean burning/scalding hot, but rather hot to the touch that it becomes uncomfortable to place your hand on that part for say more than 5sec...

Admittedly, perhaps I have underestimated the X61T bezel problem. I'll have another check on the problem it gives... I admit it's going to be a close match between the T4220 vs T2010 vs X61T.

2. voicesmith

voicesmith Pen Pal - Newbie

FYI: it is called the "T4220 Enhanced", you can google for that text to get the full deal.

Fujitsu Australia and Singapore sites have the full specs now but here is the top of the list (sadly SXGA+ is not mentioned... which was my personal reason to move up from my T4215):

Platform Intel® Centrino® Duo processor technology
    - Intel® Core™2 Duo T8300 (2.40GHz, 3MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB)
    - Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN/3945BG wireless connection
    - Intel® GM965 Express Chipset
    Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Business
    (or Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium)
    Display 12.1-inch XGA TFT, 1024 x 768 pixels, transmissive with active digitiser
    Modular Bay Device Dual Layer DVD Super Multi Writer 7
    Memory 1GB DDR2 667MHz
    Max. Memory Supported13: 4GB DDR2 667MHz, Dual Channel support
    Hard Disk 160GB
    Bluetooth® v2.0 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
    Battery Up to 3.7hrs 1 (6-cell Li-Ion 5200mAh)
    Weight Approx. 1.98kg (w/ weight saver option)
    Detailed Specifications
    Hard Disk Drive SATA-150 5400rpm, S.M.A.R.T support, Two Partitions - 50/50 12, protected by Fujitsu 3D Shock Sensor 14
    Graphics Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with Intel® Clear Video Technology15 and DVMT9 4.0 delivers low-power, high-performance 2D/ 3D graphics with Shader Model 3.0, video and display capabilities at a max. shared memory of 384MB

let the early adopting begin :)

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ah, that would be the "T4225", not T4230 ;) Which would be Penryn+Montevina...

Still, I'm glad to see it updated so fast.

Any word on Cantiga's performance vs GMA X3100 yet?

4. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Isn't the rated 6-cell battery life kinda short? I thought manufacturers normally quote max battery life which I heard is about 5.5hrs?

5. incomprehensible

incomprehensible T4220 Owner

I would find it odd the rated battery life is lower considering the lower power draw of the Penryn

Maybe they simply chose to advertise numbers that would closer resemble regular use

6. kureshii

Never trust manufacturer numbers for battery life. It's such a subjective measure that even if a number is given, you don't know under what conditions it is measured (undervolted? Idling? Screen brightness settings, etc)

Go ahead and ask on the forums, you'll get a better idea =)

7. Spare Tire

Spare Tire Scribbler - Standard Member

Upgrading for a new CPU isn't much of an upgrade. We want options that raise productivity, like a dual touch screen, pointstick + touchpad, the return of firewire, and expresscard instead of pcmcia!

8. kureshii

Longer battery life is enough of a "productivity" upgrade for me. It's not just a CPU upgrade, anyway; the "T4230" gets a platform refresh as well.

9. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

This is not really the case. Batteries wear out due to power cycling, so using the same amount of power produces the same amount of wear. There's a website called "Battery University" that I found some time ago that described the wear conditions of batteries quite well; I suggest you look it up.

To summarise though:

• Batteries wear over time regardless of use.
    • Heat causes batteries to degrade faster.
    • The optimum charge level for a Lithium Ion battery is approximately 40% if minimum wear is desired.
    • Discharging the battery to low levels less than approximately 10% causes about 10 times the wear of discharging it and recharging at a higher level.

Keeping these principles in mind, modular batteries (with simultaneous discharging as in the T4210/15/20) are significantly better in terms of deep discharging. However, if you were to discharge your batteries to about 20%, suspend and swap them this would perhaps be a little better in terms of longevity as batteries are enclosed in the hot laptop case for less time. This of course assumes you don't leave your spare battery in a car or other hot location due to not wanting to carry it around.