Given past release patterns, when is the T4230 likely to come out?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by nexus, Mar 10, 2008.

1. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

Perhaps you should consider the second internal battery then in a T4220? This will get you around 8 hours of battery life. Unlike any other tablet currently on the market, the extra battery doesn't expand the physical size of the computer, instead replacing the DVD drive (which you clearly don't need as you're comparing with the Lenovo).

I would recommend against going with battery life that's only just what you need and no more; running batteries flat is very bad for them (as I have discovered; my battery is shot 18 months after I got the machine as I used to run the old T4210 for 7-8 hours straight of uni without a charge (on main battery only; you can actually do this if you turn all the power saving on and have the screen switch off when not in use. To be honest most people don't use their PC constantly all day; wish I'd got the secondary battery too now).

2. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

The bay battery doesn't make sense IMO. It's more expensive and has a lower power capacity than the standard battery.

Anyway, what I need is 6hr battery life per battery. I need at least 12hr max or 9-10hr effective battery life, so I use two as I do now. Sure minimizing the brightness extends battery life... but if it's too dim, I can't see anything!

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Your logic doesn't make sense. Get a bay battery. I get 10-12 hours with both batteries.

The Lenovo doesn't even have a bay. You lose nothing except money, but the Fujitsu is already more expensive, but doesn't have bezel issues or a screen frame that disintegrates like the Lenovo.

4. Rommie2k6

Under what conditions were the 10-12hrs obtained? Is it a power-saving, min brightness no wifi or a power saving, med brightness with wifi? Most of the reviews I read pointed to about 4hrs of effective usage... which translates to 8hr effective life on two batteries.

The problem with Fujitsu T4220 are several:
    1) It drains both bay and main battery simultaneously, which is dumb.
    2) Also the bay battery is more expensive than the main battery. If were to buy the T4220, I would just get 2 standard batteries as I understand that it supports warm swapping.
    3) There is heat management problems.

Granted the X61T isn't without flaws, the bezel problem, but I think on the whole it has less problems, and it is also a lot cheaper. A max configured X61T goes for like US$1500 now. Fujitsu price isn't competitive at all. And by using two 9-cell batteries, I can get 10hrs+ of effective battery life.

Admittedly, I have not gone for the X61T yet is because there seems to be some problem with their international warranty. Only a few countries are covered by the scheme.

5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Medium brightness, exclusively in slate-mode, half ink half reading pdf's, power saver, no bluetooth, minimal wifi. Take note that I have a 7200 rpm hard drive. I also use a work-in-case that should cause the fan to work harder, but since I can't normally hear the fan, I wouldn't know.

What is warm swapping? You sure as hell can't swap out a standard battery with the power on if that's your only battery! At the very least, you'd have to hibernate.

There are no heat management problems. It runs warm, but it doesn't harm the computer. I use a work-in-case all the time, and rarely feel the heat, and only hear the fan in the quietest of rooms.....like when I'm by myself in a quiet study room at the library with the fluorescent lights turned off. (they buzz)

If you seriously think that Lenovo's bezel and frame disintegration problems are less serious than a computer that's warmer than other tablets without shutting down, and has the capability of having a second battery that doesn't take up additional room and can both be used without shutting down, then by all means, go for the Lenovo.

To me it sounds like you're making silly excuses to justify picking the Lenovo. The lack of logic in your thoughts clearly show that you're stuck on the Lenovo, so go do it. You won't be happy with anything but a Lenovo, even if you found something else that's better in every way.

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And if you don't need the CPU power (T4220) and want a lighter tablet with a better screen (clear and energy efficient LED backlit) ;) and with only a single battery :D then get the T2010 with it's high capacity battery. This single battery offers you almost the same Wh the T4220 offers you with both batteries.
    So if you need battery life, then get the T4220 (thanks to the modular bay) or the T2010 (thanks to ULV and a single huge battery) but don't get a X61T, Toshiba M700, TX2000, ... , because none of them offers you a modular bay or such a powerful battery.

7. Rommie2k6

Anyway pardon my skepticism as this is the first time that I read that the T4220 can last 10hrs in practice, cause most of the reviews I read point to 8-9hrs window.

If I'm not mistaken Fujitsu defines warm swapping as suspending/sleeping the notebook and changing the main battery. There was some mention of a some internal/auxillary battery than can sustain powering the RAM for a short time. Unless I am mistaken...

Lack of logic? Excuse me??? Let's see...

The heat problem of the T4220 is well documented ever since the first incarnation of the T4XX series. It runs at 58 degrees on idle according to some forumers here (that's the latest T4220 model), and parts of the unit gets too hot to touch. If this is not a problem, then I don't know what is. Just because your T4220 unit doesn't suffer from a heat management problem doesn't mean that every T4220 does. In the reverse logic, while many report X61T bezel problem, not all X61T have it. Admittedly both companies are equally guilty of not fixing problems that have been since the first-generation of that line of products. I'm not siding Lenovo over Fujitsu in that sense.

And for me, I never said that carrying a spare battery around was a chore. For Fujitsu's cases, it drains both bay and standard batteries simultaneously which is not a good option, as both batteries got worn at the same rate. Which is why if I were to purchase a T4220 I would get two standard batteries.

But I guess the point I'm saying is that X61T on 2 batteries has more battery life than a T4220 on 2 batteries (be it a Standard+Standard or Standard+Bay configuration).

Talk about who's logic is being clouded here.

8. Rommie2k6

Indeed, I feel that I'm warming up to the T2010 for my next purchase, despite the fact that I really hate ULV processors. The T2010 battery life seems impressive but does it really delivers 10hrs of practical time? I remember reading two reviews here on TabletPCReview, one stated it could last almost 9hrs and another stated it could do 5 hours max...

Sometimes I wish those reviewers could be more quantitative in their comments on battery life.

Anyway does the T2010 support WinXP? WinVista kills 1-2hr off battery life even with all kinds of optimizations from my experience...

9. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes it runs XP TE. (I use it) You can chose between Vista and XP TE.
    If you switch almost everything off and dim the screen brightness to minimum XP displays 12-13 hours battery life. But I never did this ;)
    If I use it normal, screen brightness @60-100%, BT off, WIFI mostly off, running OneNote, reading eBooks, some internet, I get about 8 hours, sometimes even 9h. This times do I get! So this is not a calculated value from windows or a other program.
    If I stress the machine (playing some games), brightness max., then I get about 4-5 hours.
    Some values to calculate :):
    The high capacity battery has 93.9 WHr. If I stress it, the T2010 needs about 18-20W, if I use it normal, it consumes about 10-12WHr, I can get it down to even 7WHr. (but then you do nothing ;))
    So, as you see, these values fit with my experienced battery life times.

Modular bay battery.
    You kill a Li-Ion battery if you discharge it very low often. So if you use 2 main batteries, you will discharge battery 1 (to maybe 5%-10%), then replace it with battery 2. After a year, battery 1 will be dead. But if you use the modular bay battery, both batteries get discharged at the same time, which means that both batteries don't get dischared very low too often, which increases Li-Ion battery life significantly. So if you have two batteries, discharging both of them at the same time, is the best choice for battery-life.
    Look at caeci11ius post above, he describes this problem, too.
    And if you use a modular bay battery, the second battery is in the tablet, you don't have to carry it around with you separately.

I never read somewhere that a T4220 gets so hot, that it was unable to touch this hot place. You mistake it with the MacBook Pro or the MacBook Air (which kills itself) :D
    No, really, I only read, that a T4220 can get hot, as hot as a normal notebook, which is, !!over a longer period!! quite uncomfortable if you hold it or want to place it on your legs, but you won't burn your skin ;)
    I would prefer this "heat issue" over some mechanical case problems.

10. Rommie2k6

I don't agree with your analysis though.

The point of having 2 standard batteries is when the 1st battery reaches say 10%, you can hibernate (or sleep if Fujitsu supports warm swapping) and change to your other battery. It's only bad for Li-Ion where they reach 0-5% charge. And you can alternate between both batteries to ensure that their wear level is the same.

Day 1: Battery #1 as my first battery, Battery #2 as the second
    Day 2: Battery #2 as my first battery, Battery #1 as the second

Of course, the underlying assumption I have here is that sometimes, you only like need 4hrs of effective use time, so only one battery will be used for that day.

The problem with draining both modular + standard together is that you have no choice... you must drain both batteries together.

In the long run, one will be using modular + standard more often, so the wear will be higher.