Giveaway Of The Day

Discussion in 'Software' started by The Niles, Jan 14, 2007.

1. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

First off this is not a scam but a legitimate site that offers free software. Everyday a different title. No Word or anything like that but small programs by small developers. Today and for the next eight hours from the time of this posting you can get a free copy of True Launch Bar a powerful tool for UMPC and Tablet PC. Worth everyone's attention.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Indeed, it is worth everyone's attention. Tracy Hooten of The Student Tablet PC has written an article about the True Launch Bar, here, if you're looking for a review from a college student's usage, but it can be used by anyone.

Nice find, The Niles! :)

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice little site there Niles.... I've bookmarked it for further reading.

As to the program, I take it you've installed it on your ASUS R2H.
    If so, what's your opinion?
    Reason being, there are tons of other programs as well that offer similar features and finding what may be considered the best (memory/system hogs) and in use can be hard to achieve. :)

4. The Niles

I have not been using it long enough to form a lasting opinion of it but so far I like it. It makes controlling the R2H easier. Not as much navigating deep into menus. I went for it after a positive review from a site. Anyway the offer is over now and I'm not sure it is worth paying for the program. As you say there are loads of these programs around.

5. P8RSON

Thanks Niles for your opinion.

I did download it in the end and activated the program before it ran out.

Have to say though, I found it to be overly complecated but in fairness I didn't spend enough time in trying to fathom out all those setting tabs.

To uninstall I had to use Windows Add/remove panel as the program didn't come with an uninstall program.

Uninstalling was very frightening as it is split into two separate sections.
    Section one is the main uninstallation which was standard..
    However, section two kicks so far into section one and asks if you want to delete loads of files in the My Documents folder.
    When I ran this I was a little horrified at the amount of files being deleted.... "Surely there can not be this amount of files" I asked myself but kept my fingers crossed....

As it was, once section two had finished, it then went back to section one and completed the uninstallation followed by a system reboot.

It was at that point I sat in terror wondering if all would be well.....

So far all seems okay but I point this out to you now, just in case for when you uninstall the application.

One very good thing though has come out of this which I am grateful to you for..... and that is pointing out to me the web site itself.

Although today's giveaway does not interest me (AVI Toolbox) I shall be keeping a daily watch on what other applications come up for grabs.

More so, I believe it could well prove prudent to have this topic renamed to 'Giveaway of the Day' and for a poster to (yourself/myself/whoever) to submit a post if anything interesting pops up. :)

6. P8RSON

Okay guys....
    First I've renamed the Topic title to 'Giveaway Of The Day' and made it a sticky.

Niles kindly mentioned this site to me on the 15th. January and since then there has been a 'Giveaway' each day.

Today's giveaway is 'System Safety Monitor' (SSM).[​IMG]
    SSM is a Host Based Intrusion Prevention System which will protect your system from all known and unknown malware, rootkits and “zero-day” attacks.

SSM proactively keeps track of all running programs’ behavior and blocks malicious or suspicious actions.

As always, you can get it for the next 20hrs (counting down so be quick) from here.

Don't forget ~ The time limit is NOT just to downloading the commercial software for FREE but you MUST also ensure you install and register the product BEFORE the giveaway time expires. :)

7. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

Won't an IPS be a huge resource hog on a windows machine especially when it's trying to spot zero-days and other new goodies?

8. P8RSON

More than likely Andrew.
    Reading some of the comments left by people on the site, they too voice concerns with the program.

Personally it's not for me but I can understand some may want to run it occasionally to find out what's going on under the bonnet (hood) of their machine.

9. The Niles

10. P8RSON

Thanks Niles for the input...

As always, I find this site to offer a veritable supply of nice goods. :)