GIMP almost good in 2019. Still no Hand tool.

Discussion in 'Software' started by thatcomicsguy, May 23, 2019.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Every few years I check in with GIMP.

And, gosh darn it, each time it is less crummy and disappointing! Why, today, it even sort of feels like it might nearly be ready! In another couple of years, perhaps it will be.

Today, GIMP is available in a 64 bit version and the brush engine is remarkably smooth and responsive. You can do the quick circle thing with not a single angular bump showing! Very few of the Photoshop alternatives can boast that. That's my very first test; open a giant canvas and scribble around. GIMP never passed that before and the test was over before it had even begun. But now it's flawless in that regard. Bravo! That only took 15 years!

The menu pallets have improved greatly from the days when everything was in a dumb floating Windows standard box. The icons and themes have undergone several improvements, and now the interface doesn't look and act stupid. (It's still a bit confusing, but there is at least a non-hubris related logic to it and the ability to configure things the way I like. And yes, that would be to emulate Photoshop. Deal with it. Maybe the last 15 years have allowed the GIMP devs to mellow out and stop being so stubbornly resistant to including popular Photoshop features on bloody-minded principle. Though, they still call Adobe, "The Mud Brick". But now it sounds more endearing than spiteful. Old age has its advantages.)

Further down on my list of test questions, CMYK no longer gets a red "X". -The lack of native CMYK support doesn't matter as much today because the print world isn't quite so reliant on that standard anymore, plus there appear to be numerous workarounds and plugins to address the issue. Damn! The progress is real!

But there are still some problems.

There's no Hand tool, for crying out loud! You can only pan the canvas using the spacebar or by panning in the Navigator window. And forget panning with a touch interface! -In fact, if you go to pan with your finger, (if it doesn't start finger painting like a sloppy 2 year old), it instead defaults to the Move tool and messes up your image by actually moving elements of the artwork around rather than repositioning the view on the pasteboard like god intended. How ridiculous is that? (Very, if you read the comments. It's been submitted -and accepted one notes- as a bug. Three years ago.)

Though, the latest beta now allows for pinch zooming. That's a start. And to be fair, touch GUIs are still a relatively new advancement in the computing world. Even the Mud Brick company has trouble bringing something less than clunky to market when it comes to touch. Only Clip Studio Paint and everything in the Apple-verse, (of course), seem to truly understand and use the full potential of the touch feature.

But by god, GIMP has a semi-reasonable selection tool! Though my early tests show it to be choppy and kind of weird, it looks like I can toggle between modes on the fly. I'll need to see if it can't be better tuned for reasonable use in 2019.

Still, in the review of various Photoshop replacements, (in the wake of their 100% fee increase), I have to say, GIMP is looking like an actual option. And it must be remembered, (with strained patience the mellowing effect of adulthood), that the GIMP devs are unpaid hobbyists.

But honestly.., at this point, if they could get the last few edges shaved down to fully functional, I'd fork over a reasonable chunk of change for a copy.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    artistebot, ATIVQ and Marty like this.
  2. El3magic

El3magic Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks bro. Do you know resources or tutorials about how to use GIMP effectively?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not really, no. But I'm sure there are tons of places on-line eager to teach.

It's fairly similar to Photoshop, I've found.