Gigabyte S1080

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by trent, Jul 3, 2011.

1. willytbui

willytbui Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much for your awesome step by step upgrading the HDD to SSD. I just bought this Gigabyte S1080 and want to upgrade the HDD to SSD as well. As I know from the Gigabyte web site recommended the Plextor LAT-128M3S PLDS 9.5mm 128G/SSD for upgrading HDD to SSD. Could you please verify it on Gigabyte web site S1080 under FAG ( where can I find the qualified vendor lists ( hard drive, memory ect...) ? thanks again.

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Great post, mate!

According to Amazon, lots of people who bought the S1080 also bought this keyboard-folio. If they are truly compatible, the folio is a must-have accessory.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. willytbui

willytbui Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought a 120gb OCZ agility 3 and I did the same thing as you described above but securing the card with electrical tape. when I boot it from external dvd driver with windows 8 release preview. It was booting to windows logo and stay there forever . I tried 4 times same things happened . Do I need to change or configure any thing from bios ? did I do something wrong ? Any help would be very much appreciated . Thank you.

4. Ray!

Ray! Pen Pal - Newbie

You need a 7mm form factor SSD/HDD to fit the tablet. The Samsung 830, which I have, is a native 7mm SSD and the Intel 330/520 etc will fit, as they have a removeable plastic top piece that brings it to a 7mm size.

What I did when I installed the SSD, is I used Paragon Hard Disk Manager to clone the HDD and then just swapped them over. This was absolutely painless and I now have a fully functional system should anything happen to the SSD.

For those interested, I have installed a Huawei EM770W card in mine and have both the broadband and GPS working, though I'm waiting for a GPS antenna so that I can get a signal. The GPS is working because I'm getting a basic NMEA response from the GPS, which I couldn't get previously.

5. Ray!

Ray! Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an update. I finally received my antenna but, unfortunately, the connector is about half the size of the standard one (good on you Apple), so I now have to see if I can find another antenna with a standard connector.

As a side note, the Apple GPS antenna, in the photos on eBay, appeared to use the same form-factor connector, but that is not the case. If all else fails, I might try and do some cutting and soldering, as I do have the correct connector type with a wire attached, but I'd rather get a complete antenna, as sometimes these are tuned with the connector wire length forming part of the antenna.

6. Ray!

Ray! Pen Pal - Newbie

I've ordered another antenna and hopefully this one won't take too long to arrive and then we'll see if the GPS in the EM770W finally works.

On another note, I've found two things that may be of interest to S1080 owners and, rather than start separate threads, I thought I'd keep it all in the one.

Firstly, I've finally found a car charger for the S1080. As I use mine for off-road navigation, it was a pain to have to use an inverter and the 240V charger, which cluttered everything with cables. Now I have a neat 12V charger that works a treat and the one I got came from here:

Car Charger Gigabyte S1080 10.1" Tablet pc Windows 7 320GB power supply adapter | eBay

Secondly, I've found a source describing how to change the screen resolution of the S1080. As some may have found out, the 1024x600 screen resolution sometimes cuts off the bottom of dialogue boxes/apps etc and that can be annoying. This Registry modification is easy and painless and provides you with the ability to change the resolution to higher levels. The source is here:

How to Change Your Netbook's Screen Resolution to 1024x768 or Higher

Once I've got the GPS working, or not, I'm going to see if I can find a store that will allow me to try out different memory sticks to see if it is possible to run 4GB of RAM in the S1080 as described by Trent at the beginning of this thread.

7. Ray!

Ray! Pen Pal - Newbie

I've ordered another antenna and hopefully this one won't take too long to arrive and then we'll see if the GPS in the EM770W finally works.

On another note, I've found two things that may be of interest to S1080 owners and, rather than start separate threads (these being so simple), I thought I'd keep it all in the one.

After around six months of searching, I've finally found a car charger for the S1080 (all previous searches gave dubious results). As I use mine for off-road navigation, it was a pain to have to use an inverter and the 240V charger, which cluttered everything with cables. Now I have a neat 12V charger that works a treat and the one I got came from here:

Car Charger Gigabyte S1080 10.1" Tablet pc Windows 7 320GB power supply adapter | eBay

Secondly, I've found a source describing how to change the screen resolution of the S1080. As some may have found out, the 1024x600 screen resolution sometimes cuts off the bottom of dialogue boxes/apps etc and that can be annoying. This Registry modification is easy and painless and provides you with the ability to change the resolution to higher levels and back again very easily through the normal screen resolution control. The source is here:

How to Change Your Netbook's Screen Resolution to 1024x768 or Higher

Once I've got the GPS working, or not, I'm going to see if I can find a store that will allow me to try out different memory sticks to see if it is possible to run 4GB of RAM in the S1080, as described by Trent at the beginning of this thread.