Get high performance mode back on the SP3 without losing CS and sleep!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by AvalonX, Aug 3, 2014.

1. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

[video=youtube;rTxtXmEGUto]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTxtXmEGUto[/video]

Yes!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  3. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't watch the video yet, but I did try this on my i5 a few weeks back and didn't notice any performance gains at all.

Also, I have read a few reports of users having the SP3 shut down with the white thermometer on the screen indicating it got too hot while using the High Performance plan.

I have yet to see this happen under any circumstance during all my testing/benchmarks on either the i5 or i7 using the standard power profile by comparison.

The SP3's problem isn't the power plan, it's the severe throttling that cuts the CPU speed in half and the GPU down even further, and no tweaking has improved this noticeably that I've tried or seen mentioned.

4. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

The question is: Why would Microsoft remove the high perfomance mode if it gives better performance? So only thinking about this it should be reasonable to assume that turning the high performance mode back on doesn't give you any performance gain.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  5. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Now in the description. I thought pinch and zoom in Manga Studio was much better. I have not noticed and shutdowns. I rendered that video with high performance mode on straight to YT.

6. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I personally didn't notice any difference between the default mode and high performance mode. other than it kept my processor pegged higher for no reason. the default mode bounced up to higher clocks when it needed to just fine.

7. MrPhilo

MrPhilo Pen Pal - Newbie

Does this also enable the hidden options in advance setting for the power option, like Intel HD Graphic setting, HDD, CPU etc?

8. zipmagic

zipmagic Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there also a similar command to re-enable power saver mode for the Surface Pro 3? That would be nice. Finding the power saver GUID would take care of the question.

9. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It might, for the power plans that you've added, but it might not for "Balanced". You can manually unhide the advanced settings. Follow my instructions in this here post to learn how to modify your Windows registry. The same steps apply for any of the other records in that HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\ directory. Just look inside all of the GUIDs to find the one that you want.

Don't forget to back up your registry before you make any changes though - while not necessary (these are harmless changes), it's still good practice in case something goes boink.

Yes. In a command prompt window, just punch in "powercfg /l" (that's a lowercase L) and it should show you what power schemes are available. However, know that this normally requires you to enable Hyper-V, which in turn disables Connected Standby.

I recall there being another Registry edit that should allow you to still enable/show power plans with Hyper-V disabled, but I can't remember if this was a legitimate change one could make or an attempt a bunch of people made that unfortunately turned out to be useless.

10. zipmagic

zipmagic Pen Pal - Newbie

This is the output:

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
    -----------------------------------
    Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced)
    Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance) *

I don't see a listing for Power saver, which hasn't been enabled yet, no wonder.