Genius? Or Retarded?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Oct 29, 2017.

?

Act of pure genius or gone full retarded?

1. You are a rare genius

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. You are a damn idiot

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The site for all those questions is right here.

I'm rather out of the loop with regard to the latest tech wave, but I was able to use the information there to cobble together a home brew Cintiq from old Penabled tablet PC parts with great success. I made a how-to about converting a 14" Toshiba Tecra M4.

The video driver boards have made a leapfrog or two since then, and I'm pretty sure you could find something to drive a modern screen.

However.., I don't know what the status is on re-directing Active Electrostatic digitizer tech. I was using the waxbee code one of the tech geniuses on Bongofish came up with to capture input from the Wacom EMR board which came with the Tecra.

But I'm sure your questions would be responded to.

2. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is brilliantly insane... but alas, I don't think the base laptop is gonna cut it for me at $1000+ and only a GeForce MX150. That's the price point where I start expecting at least a GTX 1060, maybe even a 1070.

Now, if someone can find a way to slap one of those 17" MPP digitizers on a suitably-sized gaming/mobile workstation laptop, particularly one that isn't hampered by a crappy LCD, then we'd be talking! Near-desktop performance with a built-in Cintiq that can fit in a backpack or briefcase... before, you couldn't have that no matter how much money you were willing to spend, and now, it might just be possible with a bit of hardware hacking.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

JoeS likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

I already had this idea but as a Surface Book successor last year. It really fits Surface "book" paradigm well, especially with a "Bookmark" detachable keyboard:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArYN4c8qeswngdlTdEpp-g3rI-UJlg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    stoneseeker, darkmagistric and JoeS like this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Nice design! For me to be tempted by 2 screens I would want it to lay flat and more or less become one giant screen to draw on somehow, with just a slim bezel separating them perhaps...
    I also feel like this design though would be so taxing on the battery of course, to have 2 screens draining power at the same time, but it sure would turn heads at a coffee shop, thats for sure..

6. Shogmaster

Yeah, that design is purely based on my needs and usage scenarios, which is plugged in, sitting down, and needing reference images to do work. That's why the top screen isn't even pen capable, just having multi-touch for navigation. Even with giant Cintiqs, I need a second monitor to get my designs done since there is lot of checking and rechecking reference and such. I would call that design a "true" 2D workstation design over any single display device.

I really want to explore the keyboard docked mode where part of the bottom screen becomes a giant touch pad. Maybe some custom layer on top of Windows that allows graphics to show what your actual input was, or effective work area, or other helpful things you could display. Things like the Surface Dial could become a virtual graphic version displaying there. Maybe some cool UI devices that could aid more complex programs. Whatever.

7. Shogmaster

ITS ON SALE AT BEST BUY THIS WEEK!

Picked an open box for $910 out the door! New ones are $950 before tax! GOGOGOGOGO!

8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But it's an HP screen..

9. Shogmaster

It looks fine. I just ordered 512GB Intel NVMe for it. And my friend agreed to buy my VAIO Z Canvas.

10. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

For a second screen, you could get a GeChic 1303i and prop it against or strap it to the keyboard. It is a 13.3" LED IPS screen, 1080p resolution, HDMI/DP/VGA inputs, 10-point touch, USB powered. It is not a DisplayLink device.
    I have one of these and it is quite nice, feel free to ask questions.
    The DP and VGA cables are proprietary (looks like micro-HDMI on the other end) and must be ordered separately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.