Genius? Or Retarded?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Oct 29, 2017.

?

Act of pure genius or gone full retarded?

1. You are a rare genius

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. You are a damn idiot

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm such a size whire that 15.6" of my Dell Inspiron 15 7568 feels cramped to me these days. I can always plug in my Cintiq 21UX but without touch I can't enjoy using it with Clip Studio Paint. And I ain't spending $2K on a 22HD Touch.

So when I ran across the Envy 17.3 with MPP panel at Best Buy, my desperate brain came up with a desperate possible solution...

cspaint and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey, if the keyboard doesn't get in the way, it's a total win.

A brand new 17" pen-capable screen is a unicorn these days. Plus all that hardware? Unless you want to spend three times as much for two separate devices... It's like you're being paid $2500 to not use your laptop keyboard. Shoot. Mail me the check. I'll use 1% of that to buy a USB keyboard.

That screen angle though... It's juuuust on the verge of being top heavy if you're using it on a drafting board angle.

I'd be super-tempted to try to mod the chasis to allow it more swing range, but on a new $1K+ machine still under warranty? Heh. I'm not that brave. -Also, you'd say goodbye to any kind of portability.

I didn't realize you were still using the Dell. It really had its moments for me, and I'd probably still be on it today if I hadn't gone and cracked the screen. Instead, I've actually downsized by .6" on the N9P, and yeah, I feel it. But as a portable, it's awesome.

I know what you mean about the WinTab drivers and CSP. -I've shifted to using the Microsoft driver full time now. It's a slightly different story under EMR, but it just works better. I was getting constant line defects under WinTab for some reason I could never figure out.

And the latest dual touch/pen interfaces these days are amazing. -I don't know if it's Microsoft tweaking things, or a hardware difference, but my new Samsung (Notebook 9 Pro), has basically perfected palm rejection and those accidental Win 10 flyout menu activations don't happen any more.

I'm keeping my old Cintiq 21" on active duty, though. I need the space to stay sane on projects. But, boy, I definitely feel like I'm climbing into a brain cage every time I switch from my portable where I can move the canvas around with my fingers.

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lol, while all of us plebs debating between the 13.5" S7, 14" ZBX2, and 15" SB2, @Shogmaster has surpassed us all with this 17" monstrosity... :D

My advice would be to try a hardware mod. Laptops screens (of the generic plastic chassis variety) are surprisingly easy to disassemble, as shown by one of Ben Hack's cool laptop mods:

The screen is usually held in place by a metal bracket, with the top lid cover that is removable. This gives you several build options:

1) If you are lucky and the bracket holes are symmetrical, you might be able to simply flip with screen around (provided there is enough slack in the screen ribbons). Then use the screen without the lid.

2) If not, you could simply attach the screen directly to the keyboard deck (provided again if there is enough slack for a 180 rotation on the screen cables), ignoring the screen hinge entirely.

3) Otherwise, the last case scenario is simply replace the LVDS and backlight cables with longer ribbons (or splice in extensions as Ben Hack did ;)) and mount the screen however you choose.​

Afterwards, just use some suitable protection on the exposed cables and you're good to go! :)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

For mod projects, it helps to experiment a bit with cheap gear to build up the necessary skills.

I'd guess that, for me, I'd have about an 80-90% chance of not destroying that HP. Those screens are fragile, and until you break one, you don't really know the limits of how you can handle them. The reason I broke my Dell was that the technology changed enough that my learned limits were no longer valid. And I got frustrated and thought, "Screw you. You WILL go flat!" (D'oh.)

That HP screen hack, however, if you resolve to not actually take the screen out of its bracket, but just free it from the laptop base, shouldn't be too hard.

I wouldn't advise it, though, as a first time project.

EDIT ~~~~~ for added thought:

-Not on a new $1300 machine when something else totally unrelated to your hack might require warranty service. But if you wanted to risk that.., then anybody comfortable with a screw driver could probably end up with a decent 17" flat-lying drawing board + new computer. Hmm...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  5. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Genius.
    Even more genius would be if it turned out that the old Panasonic 20” 4K toughbook tablets also used a MPP touch panel, which would allow you to use an Ntrig pen instead of that weird Anoto monstrosity. My Google fu has failed me tough. Anyone know?

6. thatcomicsguy

I was thinking about this a bit more, and went hunting for teardown videos. Turns out others have gone there before. Cool.

As per usual, HP likes to make puzzle-boxes; (their Elite Book line was not designed for ease of access!), you'd have to remove the motherboard to get the screen off, but according to this video, (I think it's the same or a similar model), getting the screen to separate from the laptop body is just an otherwise simple multi-step screwdriver job, so there ought to be very low risk of parts damage.

Also, there's only one discrete cable connecting the video and touch functions to the computer, and not an ugly octopus hairball like with some systems. It looks pretty long, too, so you'd have some reasonable latitude in how you set up your desk.

If you decided to void the warranty, you could probably get a flat-lying screen with minimal effort.

That's pretty neat.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Marty likes this.
  7. Shogmaster

Aiyaiyai...

I dont like the idea of losing laptop functionality to do this...

Also Im a giant pussy....

Also if I end up keeping this model it wont be this Best Buy SKU. It lacks PCIe slot for an NVMe SSD.

Ill use this for the two week return period to see the viability of using this upside down but this particular one is definitely going back.

8. Shogmaster

The chassis and the hinge system on mine is very different. That one in the video looks like couple gens older. Even has removable battery. My battery is trapped under aluminum

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The ones who are mentally challenged are the "geniuses" at HP who would put a pen display in a traditional laptop.

wytn likes this.
  10. Shogmaster

LOL. I think this is the case of MPP touch panel getting cheap enough to be competitive in cost against other touch only panels. Since pen functionality is enbedded in Win 10, the pen ability was just pure bonus for ppl like us to stumble up on.

In other words, HP never intended to add pen functionality to this model.

SciuriusRex and thatcomicsguy like this.