General UMPC Questions

Discussion in 'UMPC - Ultra Mobile PC' started by Jesse, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

.... only umpc with gps - that is a plus.

Even if you consider it as strictly a gps unit, it comes with everything you need to have navigation.... just got to best buy and look at what they have from $1000.... garman has units up that high and they won't have the gps power of this - let alone the screen size and functionality.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do you know what chip the GPS uses Justin?
    Also, do you have any other information as to the robustness and strength of the GPS & wifi?

Lastly, I'm wondering just what maps these can be used with.
    Being Windows should allow it to use any of the windows packages.
    Out in the open we use a lot of OS type software, as in Memory Map.

3. PROPortable

Based on my use of it and longer use of the a636 gps pocket pc..... wireless and gps connection are going to be good. Wireless on a notebook would be better - at least on Asus units - because there are two antenni that go up behind the lcd and then you've got one giant antenna when your screen is up....... but you can't expect it to be as good as that.

In terms of the gps chipset, I don't think it's any different than what's in the 636, which is SiRF Star III.

In terms of software.. yeah, I think anything windows based will work....... what Asus is including by region is going to vary. Here in NA, it'll be MS streets and trips.. in Europe, it'll be Autoroute and for Taiwan - Singapore it'll be ASUS Map.... and Lingtu for China.

But with a full OS, I can't imagine you not being able to use anything... I don't believe the S&T is anything special for this UMPC - but I haven't played with the final production model in terms of it's mapping - but given it's an MS software title and the UMPC is their idea... there may be something special to that S&T - but I can't say it until I compare them.

4. P8RSON

Now you are REALLY starting to get my interests bubbling....

I'd be pleased as punch if it uses the Sur Star III chipset.
    I have it in my mobile PocketPC's and PocketPC Phone.
    It works a treat.

Seeing one of these running Ordinance Survey data would be a real boom.
    Currently we take a lot of photo's and video when out on the outskirts of the farm and the Peak District, tying it all in with an accurate GPS fix. We then send the data via wifi if we can get a connection or via Bluetooth to a phone back to the farm.
    These would be more portable than the equipment we currently use.

However, there is still room to run the tablets we have as well.
    The ASUS would augment their uses.

5. PROPortable

Yeah, I know what you're talking about and it should be fine....... I've often taken out my tablet with a bluetooth gps reciever and used it with Delormes topo map programs... obviously a lot more useful then driving software if you're off the beaten path.

6. P8RSON

Talking of Bluetooth, have you read or seen anything on the subject of ASUS R2H in the UK with a Bluetooth warning.
    See here for information.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Blowfish

Blowfish Pen Pal - Newbie

I spent some time with a Sony unit - the resolution was too high with such a small screen. It didn't work out at all for me.

8. Blowfish

For myself, I'm not interested in running Vista in an UMPC. At least not until the 3rd public release version of Vista, which generally is a good idea with MS OS releases.

Before I wanted the fastest processor, but I read from one of Justin's post something I haven't considered, battery life and heat. Now thinking about it all, battery life and heat are more important factors to me. Besides, you can always max out the RAM to squeeze more performance/speed out of an UMPC.

9. Blowfish

The R2H has 256MB on board, and you can add 1GB RAM (stock with 512MB) easily accessed through a RAM hatch. I believe with this config, the R2H is the only UMPC I know of that can have over 1GB of RAM.

On the Samsung Q1 with its stock 512MB RAM, you can install 1GB (Kevin Toffel over at JKontherun.com) but I believe this voids the warranty, and there are hassles with gettting AV Station up and running again. Though, there is a new Q1 model coming out with 1GB RAM.

The Intel GMA 900 graphics chipset isn't bad at all. It has 128MB of shared video RAM, which is important to me since I do PowerPoint presentations with lots of embedded videos and want the videos to run smoothly. I don't run graphics intensive gaming apps, which the GMA 900 isn't the best choice.

10. Blowfish

I've got MS Streets and Trips 2006 on my desktop and laptop, so familiar with it.

How is MS S&T on an UMPC running a Tablet OS?
    Does it have a touchface GUI, or does one still need to use the cursor/mouse-clicks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.