General tablet forum?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by SimsHsia, Mar 20, 2009.

?

Should we have a general tablet PC discussion forum?

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    89.6%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. It's fine either way

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Why don't we get one started? It'd be nice to have discussions regarding tablets in general. Off topics isn't the place for these discussions, because off topic is for anything but tablets IMO. Using a tablet is about much more than software, or hardware, or any brand, and all these limiting forums, with no general forum, makes it extremely tough to have broad discussions that would better inform users, and prostelyze tablets for potential owners.

2. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It sounds like a good idea, though I can't think of any topics off-hand that would require such a forum. But I agree that it would be a good unifying place for general information and discussion on tablets.

3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

A general tablet discussion forum is a good idea. However, most threads fall into either the hardware or software category both of which are usually non-vendor specific, but I see what you're saying about having a broad discussion about Tablet PCs in general. Usually, these sort of discussions go into the WTPCSIB (What Tablet PC Should I Buy) forum, but its purpose is for, well, what Tablet PC to buy.

We could have something similar to NBR's Notebook Dummy Guide Articles forum where purpose of the forum is for everything notebook computer related; but adapted for Tablet PC purposes where all general information (and/or guides, FAQs, etc) can be held.

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

While Dummy Guide Articles are very nice, a General forum would give a broader pool of information for those articles to hatch. Here are a couple topics I can't see fitting in any current forums:

1. How long do you keep a tablet before you upgrade?
    2. What tablet features would you like to see in the future?
    3. Girls are always checking out my tablet
    4. Ways a tabletpc will save you money
    5. How much is your tabletpc used?
    6. What do you use your tablet for?
    7. Tabletpc screenshots & artwork

I could go on and on...

From a business aspect, a General forum would create more discussion, which means more web traffic, and most importantly (I would think), more revenue.

5. kureshii

I just found two threads that would be good in a general forum, as opposed to a specific manufacturer's forum.

How to Improve Notebook Battery Life

How to Sell Your Old Notebook

I believe there is plenty to talk about regarding tablets in general, e.g. you could do a quick poll on tablet penetration in schools, or share stories/opinions on tablets.

We could do a 1 or 2-week trial, and if very few new threads appear or it doesn't seem to be well-received then we'll scrap it. Any opinions?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

I agree with a few weeks of a trial run of a General Tablet forum. I see no problem with quickly skimming the forums and moving threads that fit under the General Tablet criteria and moving it to the new forum. In my opinion, two weeks is too limiting to see a forum grow, I think that maybe a month will do and we'll all access whether or not it is well-received.

7. Mlalahoi

Mlalahoi Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings,
    I hope it's appropriate for a newbie such as myself to comment on this (so far) moderator-only thread. I'm currently waiting for my first tablet to be delivered..so technically I can't even say I'm a tablet user yet :p
    Anyway, let me frame my point by describing my profile, which I would venture is quite close to your most common user here. I found this site while researching which tablet I should buy. While googling "xxx tablet pc review" i consitantly came across this place and found the reviews to be the best on the web. I would guess that this is where most of the traffic here comes from. This lead me to start exploring the forums and I spent a good two days of free-time reading every post related to the particular tablets i was considering. Eventually I made a choice and pulled the trigger based largely on info i gathered here. Let me take this opportunity to thank the mods and users here for all the great info and advice to be found here. Now, on to my point...
    For the user in the market for a new tablet this forum is, IMHO, by far the best. Once I made the purchase i found myself coming back here several times a day looking for tips on software, hardware, the specific tablet i bought, and most importantly...useage. Unfortunately the benefit of the site has declined once I made the decision. I already know (from reading here) which HD/RAM/etc. works, the known issues with my device and OS, etc. What keeps me coming back is the hope of getting tips and having duscussions with other tableophiles (did i just invent that word?) about how to get the most out of my new purchase.
    Sadly, there isn't as much content on this....I feel that this is partly due to not having a general tablet PC forum. For example, two posts that I came here today to write are "Laptop Authority Does the Right Thing" and "What's in Your Gear bag?" Where should I put these posts? These topics do not fit into the manufacturer, hardware, software, or accessories forums.
    While my tablet usership has yet to begin, I can say that i have already greatly benefitted from the comments of the mods, senior members, and "noobs" like myself. It would be great if I could continue to share in thier knowledge concering useage.
    To sum up a very long-winded reply...I strongly support a "General" forum.
    Again, I hope this post isn't out of line and I will continue to participate in this great community. Thanks to all,

Mlalahoi

8. kureshii

Don't worry, the mod-only forums are hidden from view, the fact that you can see this means it's fine to post here =)

I've just submitted a request to the mods, check your inboxes for the BCC.

9. Mlalahoi

Mlalahoi Pen Pal - Newbie

So I guess the final word was "NO".......

10. kureshii

Ah, sorry for the lack of updates, I just finished exams last week and am rushing off a research update to my professor to make up for the short break I took during the exams.

Anyway, Tiffany did reply, here's her response:

I am thinking of putting it in the "General" forum, with the label "General Tablet PC Discussion". This will contain mainly information and tips for tablet PC users that are not hardware or software-specific, nor manufacturer-specific.

Such threads would include things like textbook-scanning, improving notebook battery life (there are a lot in the manufacturer-specific forums but it would be nice to have an index of the most useful posts), user workflows, how to take care of your tablet, and so on.

There will be a general discussion thread that will also serve as the meeting-point of the forums, i.e. the place where people can discuss their tablets - maybe your boss saw your tablet and decided to put the entire company on tablets, or someone's eyes widened as they glanced sideways at your tablet on the train, etc. Complaints about customer support or other more specific issues will be re-routed to the correct discussion forums.

That's what I have at the moment, once I'm done with my stuff I'll think on it a little more and get a reply off to Tiffany. In the meantime feel free to contribute more ideas or help collate threads that ought to go under such a forum =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.