general question about t2010 and pci-e slots

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by hydrocyanic, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Pen Pal - Newbie

recently switching back from mac to a tablet again(after having my x41t sold) i purchased the t2010 and expecting to arrive soon.

before that i would like to know something about the pci-e slots. since the machine i ordered isn't a 3G model, i have been thinking of acquiring a 3g module online for it. and i am also interested in getting a turbo memory upgrade as well. would they have conflict? and i have notice some turbo memory can go up to 8gb, would it be possible to put that into the tablet? or what is the maximum that i can put in?

or maybe i should say it this way... excluding the wifi unit which will be in place, is it possible to have 3G module as well as turbo memory together? or would i be better off with an extern 3G module instead?

thank you

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The T2010 has two PCI-Express slots.

In one slot is the WIFI card in the second slot the 3G module. But some T2010 tablets, like mine, which did not come with a 3G module preinstalled, but a normal modem instead, don't have the second PCI-Express slot soldered, they have a different connector for the modem. You should be able to solder the PCI-Express port to the T2010 later, but it's a bit difficult. My tablet also does not have the sim card holder soldered to the mainboard.

Why do you want turbo memory. It's a well known fact that it does cause windows to crash, does not increase speed if you have enough RAM and was just a senseless invention. Better upgrade to 4GB RAM and you should be fine.

3. hydrocyanic

bought a pair of 2gb dual channel ram already and coming from x41t and macbook pro i have no knowledge of turbo memory at all.

if sim card slot isn't available on the t2010, there is no way to install mobile broadband then? besides usb

my thought on turbo memory is that as long as it saves battery from running hdd i am happy and since 4 and 8gbs are available i would like to know my options

4. Frank

You can solder the components to the mainboard or you could try a 3G Express Card with a SIM card holder on top of the card.

Because you have 4GB RAM you could adress 512MB or 1GB RAM to a RAM disk and outsource often used files like the browser cache on this drive. It's a much faster and much more stable solution, and you know that it improves the speed. Turbo Memory improves the system speed if you have little RAM, like 1GB or so.

5. hydrocyanic

how do i address part of the ram to browser cache?

6. euquility

euquility Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe you can reate something like a "RAM disk" or essentially using your RAM as storage as RAM is crazy fast. You then set your browser preferences to save its cache files or what not there.

7. Frank

you create a RAM disk (just google for it there are free softwares available) and then set the browser cache, in the browser settings, to the RAM Disk.
    You can also use a portable version of your browser if you use Firefox or Opera, and run the whole browser from the RAM Disk.
    There are a lot of guides out there which explain this.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=4485013

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Colourful Zone

Colourful Zone Using T2020 thru DIY e-PCIe I/F, now using T904

If the T2010 you got is without the MODEM, the PCI-e Slots will be soldered. However, as my T2010, it is installed with 1GB Turbo Memory module in this slot. Thus, if you want to use 3G module, you cannot use it with Turbo Memory module at the same time.

Also, the antenna is an issue of it. If the T2010 is 3G model, there is an extra area for the attenna at the right hand side of the screen. Thus, there is no attenna on the normal T2010 model. You meed to get one by yourself. Also, you need to open the display panel and place the antenna at the right hand side of the display because there is space at right hand side only.

Do not put the antenna in the other area since it is all ground-shielded that the radio signal is nearly not able to transmit out or receive the outside signal.

I also want to plan to do so but the antenna is a issue for me. :)

9. hydrocyanic

i ended up buying a PCMICA hsdpa unit and yes i found out the 3G version of T2010 has something sticking out on the side and it will be an hassle for me to buy a new frame and soldering

still fine though, cuz the card i bought goes right inside or only have a minor part sticking out only

thank you

10. Colourful Zone

Colourful Zone Using T2020 thru DIY e-PCIe I/F, now using T904

Great if you can find out the PCMCIA card to instead. :) It should be the second best choice for T2010/T2020.

BTW, how much is the card and what is the brand of it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.