Gateway???

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by eatonop, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquireM

SquireM Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been on this forum for a while and I get the strong feeling that people here, in general, don't like Gateway. Why is that? On the general snide remarks I had taken Gateway out of the running, but then I read this review:
    http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTcxLDEsLGhjb25zdW1lcg==
    It seems to be a very thorough review and quite favorible.
    So what's up? I'd like to hear from any and eveyone.
    Thanks.
    S

2. Daring

Daring Moderator

There are indeed many strong opinions here. But keep in mind that is just what they are ... opinions. We all have different ideas of what the "perfect tablet" should look like. Make a list of what is important for you. For me long battery life and portability topped my list. I don't consider any tablet over 5 lbs to be portable so that took the Gateway (among others) right off of the list.

Besides, if there really were a "perfect tablet" what fun would that be? We'd have nothing left to argue about!

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've hated Gateway, been a big fan and gone back and forth several times. At the moment I'm neutral on them. I think they do a lot of good, their tablet in particular is above average, if you like the form factor. But they do a lot of stupid things too, like give the same tablet 3-4 different product numbers depending on where you see it. We're also hearing their service leaves a little to be desired, but who's doesn't? Not many.

4. saetia

saetia Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm with Brian regarding my mix of opinions of Gateway over the years. I despised their kludgey PCs of the late 90s with their horrible cases and form factor. Having started my technology career with an ISP technical support during the mid-to-late 90s, Gateway PCs were ones that made us cringe (remember 'Gateway 2000'?).

Fast forward to 2003. I began looking for a new laptop, preferably one of those massive 17" rigs with a remote control. I checked out Gateway's then current models at a local store, and I was impressed over anything else I had seen. This stuck with me when i began the search for a tablet PC, and my first one was a Gateway CX2618 purchased from a local Best Buy. The machine was incredible for the price, and the only reason I moved on was its size.

I offer the two above variations to give you an idea of how one person's opinon can differ over time. Daring's common sense advice is the best that I could offer: make a list of what you're looking for, and begin the hunt!

To add to the CX2618 comments, the thing felt awesome to hold in my lap in tablet mode. It was awesome having this huge screen as my palette/notepad/easel/sketchpad/drawing board/etc. ! However, I do one bicep workout a week as it is. Including that in my work bag was too much of an additional workout.

5. McDuck

McDuck Pen Pal - Newbie

I never liked Gateway back a few years ago.
    in fact I thought they had gone bankrupt or bought our by HP or something years ago?

6. eatonop

eatonop Pen Pal - Newbie

i have a CX2610 myself, and a couple of weeks back a friend of mine bought a n MX6450 platinum edition upon my recommendation. honestly, we are satisfied with the machines we have right now. but yes, when you look at gateway's website especially for their online interactive notebook configuring, it is plain and simple moronic approach. for the same configuration and machine you get 4 different types of model name --consumer, small business, education, corporation. then when you try to get parts another confusion. nothing straighforward there. what a waste?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.