Gateway vs. Lenovo vs. Toshiba

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by shmoussa, May 9, 2007.

1. shmoussa

shmoussa Pen Pal - Newbie

I really like these three laptops:

Gateway CX-120X
    Toshiba M400
    Lenovo X60 with Touch

I am a student looking to take notes in school. I NEED to be able to rest my hand on the screen while writing. I like the idea of have the touch option. I'm not sure if these have built in microphones and/or webcams but I would like at least one of those. I can't seem to pick which one is really worth it- I have many pros and cons with each.

Gateway: I like the way it looks, but I Gateway has never had a good reputation. I have read that the pens don't always work.

Toshiba M400- I don't think this has touchscreen. But its the cheapest option.

Lenevo X60- I feel like this one has the best reviews all around. However, it is the most expensive.

Which one of these give the best writing experience? I have never had a tablet before, but I want one that feels like I am writing on paper. Could you please give me your input about your experiences with any of these and help me make a decision.

Basically, if you could pick one of these for free, which would it be and which would you absolutely reject, and why. Thank you so much for your time!

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you want the feeling of writing on paper, it's not so much the tablet you should be looking at but the screen properties.

This can be made better in three different ways:-
    1. Go with a screen with a 'graininess' feeling, such as the 'Anti-Glare' type.
    2. Use a screen protector which not only will protect the screen but give a little extra writing resistance liken to writing on paper.
    3. Change the nib in the pen. For this I use 'Felt' nibs. Felt nibs can be ordered direct from Wacom or you can get them from a third-party source.

Of the three methods above, the 'Felt' nib replacement has the better option and can be used on any TabletPC, irrespective whether it is an Anti-Glare type screen or has a Screen Protector in place.

3. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Read the other posts on what to buy.
    So far the Gateway cx210 has performed flowless especially the pen writing accuracy and "feel."

See other reviews, too.

S

4. DooberXL

DooberXL Pen Pal - Newbie

I currently have the Gateway CX210s, which is just a tiny bit different from the CX210X. I have a few gripes about this.

1) When in tablet mode, it becomes extremely hot. In some places, it gets so hot that it could burn you if you kept your hand on that position.

2) The pen it comes with gets wonky with use, well, atleast mine has so far. It worked fine for about a month. About two weeks ago, it would randomly stop responding as I wrote. I'd have to shake it or bang it against my thigh to get it to respond again. I'm not sure if it's a reliability issue (as a lot of people have been complaining about their pens) or if it's just that I got a defective one.

3) The headphone port is located right on the front of the laptop. I usually lay in bed while using this laptop and the headphones I have plugged in jab me in the stomach.

4) It's a little on the heavy side. It's partly due to the fact that I chose the 12-cell battery, but the large 14" screen also has a big role in the weight.

5) The accuracy of the pen isn't perfect, but no tablet is. The finepoint digitizer is okay I guess, but pressure sensitivity is a little loosey goosey. Again, this may be because of my wonky pen. I'm hoping other tablets are a little more accurate and have more reliable pens as I'm selling this tablet. Too bad the 30 day trial period is over!

6) Windows Vista uses almost 10-15 gigs of HD space for recovery features. That's just great considering the advertised 80gb HD is really more like 60gb.

I don't know if this helps you much, but these are just my main gripes with the tablet. There are definitely better ones out there, but gateway had the best deal specs vs. price wise. I was hoping that I could use this thing for light gaming and high tablet usage, but the pen gripes I have really killed my expectations.

5. kk6265

kk6265 Pen Pal - Newbie

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

These are the one's I use and looking at your link, it would appear the Felt nibs are a part of the pack.

7. shmoussa

shmoussa Pen Pal - Newbie

thank you for your input. I appreciate especially the specifics (headphone port) because something like that would DRIVE ME CRAZY!!

Are there any new tablets being released between now and September that we know about, which could possibly compete with my three options??