Gateway or Toshiba?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theskyking

theskyking Pen Pal - Newbie

I have spent the last eight hours straight researching tablet PCs. I think I have narrowed it down to two options:

1. Gateway CX 2618. Available at best buy on sale for $1099. Would consider adding the three-year best buy extended warranty which includes accidental damage. Total cost out the door: $1500. Pros: one gig of RAM, lots of features, includes extended warranty and accidental damage coverage.

2. Toshiba model of some type, not quite sure which. Not quite sure where to buy. Definitely need one gig of RAM. Not sure if I need an extended warranty because everyone says Toshiba is better quality than Gateway.

I would appreciate any comments on these choices. My main concern with Gateway is quality of build, and, everyone says they have major problems with the pens. My main concern with Toshiba is that it seems like the standard models in my price range only come with 524 MB of RAM. Also, I am having trouble locating lower-priced models.

Another question I have is the serviceability of Toshiba. Someone said Toshiba is much easier to service because there are "authorized" places where you can get them fixed. How much does this cost? Is it worth getting an extended warranty plan for a Toshiba? I live in a rural area and we do have a best buy near here but I'm not sure if we have on "authorized Toshiba Toshiba Center."

I would like to make the decision soon as the $1099 deal on the Gateway at best buy seems like a great deal and they only have three computers at this price left in stock. Any advice from the experts here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

I'm editing this message now to note that the functionality of a tablet PC is an absolute must for me so I cannot consider a regular laptop.

Sorry to edit again and make this more complicated: I have one more point of consideration. I am getting a tablet PC because my job requires a large amount of computer use and over the years I have damaged my body from to much keyboarding. If Toshiba really does have a better pen and digitizer system, it wouldn't be worth it to me to go for the Toshiba because my main reason for getting a tablet is the pen functionality. I do not do digital art or anything like that (I am a real estate agent) but I do need precision. I tried a gateway at the store but I've never tried a Toshiba. The Gateway pen functionality seemed mediocre. Around the corners of the screen, it was not very accurate. I would appreciate some words of wisdom about Toshiba in comparison to gateway with regard to pen/tablet functionality. Thanks!

2. PowerMatt

PowerMatt Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been contemplating the same thing for a while now. I did come accross one rather large detriment against the Gateway. The battery has this hump on it that is non-removable. It makes it impossible to lay the Gateway down flat on a desk in full-page orientation.

As far as Toshiba, I'd hold off a bit. There are a couple new models coming out fairly soon which will probably drive down prices on some of their older models (like the M4).

Toshiba uses wacom's penabled system, which from what I've read seems to be superior to most other systems out there, especially Gateway's proprietary technology. Replacement pens are going to be cheaper with Toshiba's as well since you can use any wacom penabled device.

3. theskyking

theskyking Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got a quote from Toshiba direct for a refurbished Tecra, with a three-year extended warranty which includes accidental damage, including tax and delivery, $1317. That seems like a good deal to me. It is a refurbished but with the extended warranty it seems reasonable.

The lump on the Gateway battery doesn't really bother me.

I guess you are right about the new models coming out this summer, but that is always the case in the computer world.

4. PowerMatt

PowerMatt Pen Pal - Newbie

The M4 I presume? Not too shabby.

The Gateway would be a problem for me. I'm a student, and as such my tablet would be spending a lot of time in full-page orientation. Having the whole thing tilted at an angle just wouldn't work.

5. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

toshiba is the best

6. marbles

marbles Pen Pal - Newbie

Care to extend on that? :)
    I hear nothing but good about Toshiba, but I want to know "why" :)

7. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

it is a solid machine for an excelent price. I have had no hardware problems. sure there are a few bits of bloatware but it's not a serious problem. the battery is great on my r15 giving me about 3.2 hours on full power and occasional cpu spikes. Overall it is the best that I could hope for. the compusa that I bought mine told me that noone in that week had returned theirs (they had a special metal cage/crate for all of their returned stuff. I saw monitors, computers, but no r15s). Overall the tablet pc operating system is great but what makes toshiba better is the quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.