Gateway M285 Convertible Tablet PC Review

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by ViPaDawG, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyleredw

tyleredw Pen Pal - Newbie

Vipadawg, I would like to thank you for writing this review. Coincidently, I am also going to Virginia Tech under the Engineering program, and have been looking at this tablet for quite some time trying to decide which to get.

I've pretty much decided that the M285-E is the tablet that I am going to purchase. However, my main question for you is, how did you go about getting the VT student discount on the Gateway tablet? On the website, there are options to purchase laptops from every brand but Gateway, which only seems to let you look at price quotes, but not make a purchase. If you have any information on this, please PM me or email me at: 3dw0rdz@comcast.net as i would like to aquire the laptop sooner rather than later so i can get some time to get the hang of it before the school year begins. :D

And now for my other question: Does the weight of the laptop make holding it for extended periods of time uncomfortable? It's definatly quite a jump up from the tiny weight of the Fujitsu T4210. Also, have you had any problems with the magnetic screen latches not locking shut?

2. nossy

nossy Pen Pal - Newbie

Wacom's input are much better, period.

3. ViPaDawG

ViPaDawG Pen Pal - Newbie

Depends what battery you get, it is a bit cumbersome, however, I don't think it should be too bad, I mean, you'll get some good exercise. Truthfully, it IS a bit heavy, tippin' in at like 7.5ish lbs, but I think it's manageable, and the extended battery provides a nice handhold so you can hold on to the tablet while writing on it. I don't really see it being too much of a problem, but i guess it might get tiring if one had to hold it for over an hour or two.

4. Smartdog

Smartdog Pen Pal - Newbie

ViPaDawG and others,

In the review ViPaDawG states:

"Other than that, the only other missing port someone would have a complaint about would be S-Video, however, that can be solved using the Optional Port Replicator attachment that Gateway sells."

I am wondering if anyone has tried to use a simple adaptor to solve this.
    (not a company endorsement...just an example)
    http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/CV-25120.html

If you look at the specs on the 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 GPU:
    http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeonx1400/specs.html

It looks like it may have the ability:
    vivo™ Video and Display Platform

This is a portible solution, if it is possible.....any thoughts on this?

Buy the way ......Tuesday I will have my order finalized for
    M285- E SB Gateway Tablet Computer

Smartdog
    "we all learn by sharing what we know"

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. palowitch

palowitch Pen Pal - Newbie

hey vidadawg great review on the tablet, real informative. i am also contemplating purchasing this tablet. I'm also going to VT next year too and i have a gateway desktop now and its been great for years so they already have me there. i have the same question as Tyler regarding purchasing it with the school discount, and how u went through all of that. also were there any changes that you made to the package they presented or did you just buy it as it was. my email is mpalowitch@comcast.net so please let me know about these few things. thanks again- good review :eek:

6. airgaps

airgaps Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello, nice review. I have a question: how are the view angles of the screen? Horizontal and Vertical ??

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.