Gateway C142XL vs new HP tx2500

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by wortek, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Mouretsu

Mouretsu Pen Pal - Newbie

Istarted off with the HP tx2110 (?). It was the top of line being sold at Circuit City. I have to say that if it wasn't for the fact that it actually burned my legs (not just warm but actual first degree burns) I would have kept it over the Gateway.

Pros: I like the smaller size, lighter, fingerprint reader on the bezel so you could use it in tablet mode, quick launch buttons on the bezzel, actual touch screen that you didn't need the Wacom pen for, and I just liked it better.

The cons are: The screen is not as good as the gateway and it burns you. The touch screen did make writing on it different than the GW and you really needed to make sure you lifted your pen between letters otherwise it captured your strokes between the letter, which was kind of annoying. Some would say that the smaller screen is a con but the smaller screen actually had a few more lines of resolution that actually made a difference on how much stuff you could see on the scree.

That being said, I am still very happy with my 142XL. If HP came out with an intel tablet I would however sell this one the same day.

Someone mentioned a screen protector. I'm not 100% sure but it seems to me that my screen is actually a glass cover over the real screen. I don't think I could scratch this thing unless I took my car keys to it.

2. Gubbi

Gubbi Pen Pal - Newbie

DrNick, I was interested in knowing these:

1. The over heating issues in both. And how serious is it? Especially the number of hours after which they start feeling too hot.

2. Display view quality.

3. Stylus response.

4. Build quality. Do they feel fragile or well built?

I liked HP, but I read that they overheat pretty fast and the issue is pretty serious. That the buttons on HP feel cheap and overall build isn't much solid. So, I have been considering Gateway as alternative.

What are your views?

3. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

1. The c140x is cooler then the tx2500, however the c142xl may be a bit warmer than the c140x but still cooler than the tx2500
    2. The Gateway has the better screen, but it also lacks a Passive Digitizer.
    3. They should be the same as both use Wacom Digitizers
    4. The Gateway is better

4. wortek

wortek Pen Pal - Newbie

5. The tx2500 has the better graphics card ATI 3200 while C142xl have ATI 2300 HD, 3200 is approximately 500 points higher in 3D mark '06 and 900 points higher in 3D mark '05, but 2300HD have its own video memory while 3200 doesn't.

Still I think for now gateway C142XL is better because of its Intel processor which is better than AMD and less heat generation. And yes there is no perfect tablet yet! Let's wait for another half year.

to DrNick664
    Could you please just tell us which of this tablets do you like more?
    And it would be great if you could test a similar game on both of tablets, for example COD4, and tell us the max FPS on the same settings.

5. archosfan

archosfan Pen Pal - Newbie

I own a C-142xl and have played around with an HP 2110 tablet in the store several times. I can't comment on the HP's heat problems, but I know that the Gateway has little/no heat buildup in my lap, even in high performance mode. If you like to watch movies on your laptop, I would not recommend the HP. The screen has REALLY bad blacks and the graininess is easily visible, even from 3-4 feet away. The Gateway has little or no graininess. The HP's touch screen is not very responsive from my experience with it, and the Gateway is responsive, but not always accurate. The HP looks nicer than the Gateway but it feels cheap in your hands.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the HP is much more portable to the Gateway- my c-series is unweildy and pretty much impossible to walk around with, writing on the screen.
    The HP would have better pixels/inch, because its screen is smaller with about the same resolution as the Gateway. I still think the Gateway is much better for drawing, though, because of the size.
    Hoped this helped.

6. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

As of this moment I like the Hp Tx2500 more, and these are the reasons why.
    1. The fingerprint reader on the tx2500 is actually usable, and in a practical location.
    2. I like the webcam and the dual microphones. It (microphone) has better record quality then the Gateway.
    3. I like the size and design of the Hp tablet. I never realized what a fat cow the Gateway was!
    4. The speakers are significantly better then the Gateway speakers and are in a location where they are still usable in tablet mode.
    5. I really like the touch screen, and eraser on the pen. And yes the screen is grainy, but it only seems bad at first. I should also note that with the Gateway I would sometimes get a purple tint in the screen. (from the digitizer I think) So basically the graininess isn't that bad, and the Gateway is easier to read indoors.

And in regards to your fps inquiry; I don't really play many games, but I went system requirements lab and tested my TX2500 for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. The area where the computer was laggin behind was in the CPU section. (I have the 2.1 GHz model) The Tx2500 scored a 3\6 where the minimum was 2\6. I don't have my C-140X with my at the moment so I'll run that test latter. I imagine the Tx2500 would get better FPS results, because it scores higher on the 3d Mark 05 test by about 1000 points. I probably also helps that the HD 3200 has DX10 where as the X2300 has 9.
    In response to the overheating issue, I have not had a problem with the TX2500 overheating yet. Overheating meaning the computer shuts itself off. The Tx2500 does run hotter in high performance, though I don't know how much hotter, because RM Clock doesn't quite work with the new chipset yet. With Stylus response I think its about the same. I haven't noticed a difference. But I should also add that I'm no artist. And Build quality... The Gateway definitely has better build quality, and feels more solid. The plastic back of the Tx2500 looks pretty, but feels cheap. I don't feel the quality of the Tx2500 is so much lower that it should stop you from buying it, if that was your concern.

As a summary right now I'm using the Tx2500, because I like the design and features of it, features like touch, better speakers, webcam...But the C-140X I had was definitely more powerful. And in case you want to know my specs on the C140X are T7300 processor (2Ghz 4mb cache) Ati X2300, and a GB of ram. For the Tx2500 I have the Zm-80 processor (2.1Ghz) 4GB ram and the integrated HD3200 card.

7. wortek

wortek Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks DrNick664 for that little comparison. As for me I decide to stay right now with my Gateway, because tx2500 is not so much better to sell my C141XL and buy HP, yes the graphics card a bit better but overall gateway is powerful and I think I'll wait till something better will shows up with more powerful CPU and much more powerful graphics card.

8. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

also, supposedly the 2 & 4 GB versions of the tx2500 have a better WEI than the 1 & 3 GB, I don't know why... mine(3GB) gets 3.6 while others are getting up to 4.0 WEI

also, I can't get it to play GRID, it won't start.
    :(

UPDATE: got the tx2500 exchanged because of a screen calibration problem, and GRID does run on the new machine so it must have been a problem with that one.

9. RoyalBean

RoyalBean Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the cx140 something, it was the last model they made with the finepoint tablet, and I now have the 2500...

I would say the gateway would win hads down, but for that finepoint tablet. I never realized how bad it was till i used the wacom in the HP. They are not even comparable. The screen is much higher quality on my gateway. On the HP, there is some plasticy film over the screen, so when you are pressing down with the stylus, the light is refracted funny around where the pen is depressing the film.. The gateway has nice solid glass, with no graniness on white backgrounds like the HP. The hinge is much better on the HP...

What else...
    The heat... When my gateway is not plugged in, the fans will never come on, and the tablet will remain cool. With the hp, the fans are on all the time and it is hot, (compared to the gateway) even when in power saving mode.

However, when running on full power, I wish this gateway had those noisy ass fans that the HP has, because the fans in here don't seem ample to dissipate the heat created by the gateway on full power. I already had to send in my gateway to repair damage caused by overheating (simply leaving it on a fabric surface (my bed) while plugged in caused it to over heat, frying the video card.

There is more range in screen brightness with the HP, but the gateway has a higher brightness at its top setting. THe gateway also has that nice nav button for scrolling down while surfing the internet in lecture.

One annoying thing about the gateway, is that although it has this nice glass screen that is very unscratchable, dust and dirt gets behind it. I have already had mine replaced once, and it is again already full of dust, so much so that I can't even see the little e of the internet explorer icon in the upper left corner right now.

Overall, the HP wins as a tablet pc, because i have the finepoint tablet in the gateway. If i had the wacom tablet, things might be different. Oh yeah, i paid less than half of what i paid for the gateway for the HP, so that is worth a lot....

Oh also, while using the HP, it takes forever to charge that tiny 6 cell battery. THe gateway charges the 8 cell in less than a hour, unless it is totally dead. The HP charges like 10% an hour while you are using it. IT will charge faster if you turn it off and plug it in, don't know why that is.

10. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

Upgrade to a Gateway C140x with Wacom :p