Gateway C-140x Waiting Room

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Bevelund, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chili

chili Pen Pal - Newbie

What advantages does Vista offer tablet-wise vs XP? 1 Gig of RAM is plenty for XP but certainly not Vista.

2. tabletonthevista

tabletonthevista Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the advice. But I've been running Vista just fine for more than a year already on my old P4 with 1GB of RAM (although I do have 1.5GB now) although that did have a dedicated graphics card (Radeon X800 w/ 256MB). Everything works except for my tuner card because my stupid OEM decided that the machine was not capable of Vista even though the original spec greatly exceeds the minimum recommendations. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a workaround yet without buying a new card. They released new versions for newer machines and limited the installer to specific models. :(

Anyhow, I'll see how it goes and if it's inadequate for my needs, I'll get it when I'm sick of it and have some extra cash. :D I'm definitely not going to pay for XP at this point and or even use it if I didn't have to for software issues (due to 3rd parties) that will never be fixed unless I buy the newest versions. :mad:

3. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok.. Do this.

Get the 1GB Ram, like you said, you can get it cheaper online elsewhere.

Keep Home Premium as you have licesnes for Business and Ultimate.

Skip the ATI card, but get the Intel w/fingerprint. If you occasionally use games or rarely, no use getting it, and save $70. $70 is $70.

Get BT. You may not need it, but if your phone can use BT to transfer contacts, or want soemthing BT, just get it now. Consider it a swap for the ATI card price.

Get the DVDRW. You never know when you will fill the HD up or want to back it up.

then 3yr warranty.

I priced and got it at $1663 w/ SH.

Kinda up there.

but if money is a concern, you CAN skip the BT, skip the DVDRW (but remember, this is something you can't add from newegg). I'd also skip the warranty. Yeah, you can finance it, but you have 1 yr to buy it. so you can save $20 a paycheck or something, or use your tax money next yr and buy it. Up front you save $350, but will get it later.

that's my plan, buy it next yr after taxes.

4. Coolv

Coolv Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, so mine finally shipped and it'll be here on Thursday after the imaging - one week late and two weeks later than when I needed it.

5. domborideh69

domborideh69 Pen Pal - Newbie

1.8 processor, home preimium, 3years adp, ATI graphic card, 2gig ram, bluethooth, and 80gig 7200 rpm hard drive $1550 out the door including shipping and tax. actual price on their website 1800 including the extra 100 that they are offering now. if anyone wants the same deal let me know and i will have my salesrep call you and give you the same deal

6. tabletonthevista

tabletonthevista Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the input nikecar.

So you like the fingerprint?

BT: Can't I use a dongle or something? I don't think I'll be doing much with a phone; I'm old school with that. :D

I was thinking about getting an external hard drive some time actually, so I'll pass on the DVDRW. I can always also transfer files to my desktop mean time.

As for saving a paycheck and tax money and what not, kinda hard to do when your occupation as a student involves losing money. :rolleyes: :D

7. DRR

DRR Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally, after 45 days of practicing Zen patience, my dream machine has shipped.

8. gutierrez

gutierrez waiting for a fixed fan

Death and drek!

Made my ritual morning call to gateway today and Tiffany gave me the bad news. My EAD had been delayed to 9/3. At least this is just my first delay. Let's hope it's my last. She told me, "There was a parts shortage for your particular model of laptop, but the part is available now." Hopefully that means they are actually going to build it now, and maybe I can get in on the recent rash of deliveries.

9. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes I like Fingerprint. You can even swipe while you're online and it will go to the selected webpage and enter your passwords automatically for you (registration to fingerprint software required but easy).

i have it set to need my password/swipe to boot up. VERY convenient.

My boss has a FP laptop and loves it too.

10. Kevin1551

Kevin1551 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I just called to check my order status and it said I had to chat with CS regarding my order status, so I was pretty sure this was a delay. Turned out my EAD had been moved to September 3rd from September 18th, so maybe it will come early. I have the 5-7 day shipping method, so it seems to me that would mean my order would have to ship pretty soon. Guess we'll see.