Gateway C-140X Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by thaluckyspoon, Jul 4, 2007.

1. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

The first time I checked my order status it was in processing. I never even saw it on the 'order placed' stage. I wouldn't be too worried though. Maybe by next tuesday or wednesday I would get a little worried haha.

2. apinkpony

apinkpony Scribbler - Standard Member

Hm. It's weird because I also placed my order around 1:00PM (PDT) on the 2nd, and by the time I checked my order status (around 5 pm) it was in processing.

Then I went back later and realize it hadn't required me to put it the 90W charger for my video card, and I freaked. Talked to the customer support and she was like "We're gonna have to pull it out of manufacturing and put it on hold." I was like "No friggin way" and so yea, she finally just fixed it for me :)

Anyway, kind of weird yours hasn't entered processing yet. I'd talk to them or something, maybe a very logical reason. Or maybe they got a bunch of orders right after I did it... who knows.

3. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I see a lot of logical anxiety here...I went thru the same waiting period.
    It all worked out fine in the end. The tablet arrived 2 weeks earlier than anticipated.

4. apinkpony

apinkpony Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm well thats sounds good. I wont count of 2 weeks cas its so new, but a week or even half a week would be nice. :-D

As for the anxiety, you bet! I feel like a chicken with a head cut off or sumthing. I don't know if that makes sense *even to me* but yea... ahhhh.

5. imagined109

imagined109 Pen Pal - Newbie

Haha, anxiety....yup...definitely anxious, I've been looking forward to getting a tablet for a year now, so since I ordered it the anticipation's been making me a little wacko...and I only ordered it four days ago :p

Also, in case anyone's wondering, apparently the online status checker could be lying to you, I called gateway and the customer service person told me that while it was saying one thing, she's got something different on her screen (my order is actually processing)...just fyi.

6. thaluckyspoon

There is probably a delay between updating the online status and what is actually going on. Hopefully these orders start moving from the 'processing' to the 'production' box. I am hoping it gets here by the 20th, but not counting on it.

7. HS77

HS77 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I went ahead and ordered mine today. Went with close to the normal package, except for the upgraded RAM, and Bluetooth, and battery replacement for 3 years

Mine said it would arrive on the 24th! Let's see, and hope, that we get them sooner though. And hopefully all goes well with this new product!

8. mcdee415

mcdee415 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just bought my C-140x yesterday. Talked to a sales rep and managed to get 210 off. The $150 link was active yesterday but the discount didn't register when you clicked on it. Wouldn't have been able to decide without this forum. I was thinking about the X61t but it was too expensive, screen was too small, and no dvd drive (unless you buy the x6 base and dvd writer for an extra $290). This tablet seemed right for me. Thanks for all the help.

C-140X
    Vista Business
    Core 2 duo (2.0 Ghz, 800 Mhz, 4 mb cache)
    120 gb HD (5400 rpm)
    1 MB RAM (bought OCR 2MB RAM (single piece) for $85 at Frys online)
    ATI graphics
    Fingerprint Reader
    Bluetooth
    Tablet Sleeve
    [$1400 delivered]

Thanks Thaluckyspoon for all your help.
    The rep told me that the latest I would receive it was 7/24.

9. thaluckyspoon

Nice purchase. I bet you will enjoy it.

On a side note if the rep told you the latest you would get it is the 24th then I damn well better get mine by then. Especially ordering a full week ahead.

10. phantom4099

phantom4099 Pen Pal - Newbie

They are probably getting a big order in, and will ship most of our computers around the same time.

But I don't blame you, I am real anxious to get my new computer. I have been using a no-name cheap laptop for the last 5 years (and all through college) and can't wait to get something more current.

11. HS77

I'm wondering if I made a wrong choice in ordering strictly online without talking with a rep . . .

I don't recall ever having the option for fingerprint scanner (which would have been alright, but not necessary), and I don't think I had the option of widescreen . . . I though I saw it and chose it, but when I look back it just says 14.0" WXGA TFT Active Matrix . . .

Hmm, I ordered mine yesterday, should I honestly go and cancel it and reorder one, talking with a sales rep to get more specific things that I'd probably not get just online?

12. thewhalepimp

thewhalepimp Pimp Master

Well, HS77, I am absolutely positive that the fingerprint scanner is an option in the online order form, its just grouped together with the graphics card/chassis.

Look back at the form and you'll see you have four options:
    chassis w/x3100
    chassis w/ x3100 and fingerprint scanner
    chassis w/ Ati x2300
    chassis w/ ati x2300 and fingerprint scanner.

Also, i believe that EVERY C-140X is widescreen. It's not an option, its just a standard part of this computer.

The reason so many people called sales representatives wasn't for customization, it was to negotiate prices and get education discounts.

13. HS77

Thanks!

I thought they all might've been widescreen. It just made me wonder if I thought wrong though!

I guess I should have looked closer there for the chassis. Oh well, the fingerprint scanner would have only been an added plus for security. But I can always use the security of This thing never leaving my side when I take it somewhere haha!

I am wondering though, the whole Aero glass software I hear so much about, the first option will be able to handle it? (I know absolutely nothing about graphics because they've never been too high on my list. But the aero glass look of vista makes it really look like a new os, and wouldn't mind trying that out)

14. thaluckyspoon

First off: If I were you I would cancel my order and re-order it with a sales rep. You can haggle the price down over the 'sales chat' and get a price probably $100-200 less.

Second: The X3100 (standard option) will most definitely run the aero glass feature so I would not worry about that. Even the GMA950 (last version of intel integrated graphics) ran the aero without letdown.

And yeah like others have pointed out they are all 14" widescreen so you do not need to worry about that. I would seriously cancel and re-order though tryign to haggle down the price a bit.

15. superspypig

superspypig Pen Pal - Newbie

I just ordered yesterday! It is going to be a BEAST! 2.4 GHz, with 1GB of memory. Don't get me wrong, I also perchased another 4GB of RAM on Newegg.com. Internal Bluetooth will reduce the hustle and bustle to carry an adapter everywhere, Wacome active pen will allow me to write my journal on it and draw! 9 hours of battery life---I will never need to find a plug-in anymore!
    Really awesome!

16. Nichod

Nichod Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a big request for those who have purchased. If any of you have any Linux experience. I'd appreciate a quick test of Ubuntu Live CD to see what does and doesn't run.

My mind is set between either an M400/M7 or the C-140X. I know for a fact that Toshiba tablets can get up and running smoothly in Ubuntu with very little trouble. Just would like to see how smoothly the C-140X would be. If it would run well then the C-140X would be my purchase for price alone.

Again it would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

17. kfc469

kfc469 Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought that linux doesn't offer tablet support.

18. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I just ordered my C-140X on 7/5/07 and my EAD is 7/24.

Here are my specs: T7700 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Chassis w/ Radeon X2300 gfx and fingerprint reader, bluetooth, DVD-RW DL, 8 cell battery.

Ironically, 7/24 is my little bro's birthday.:D

19. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

It does if you install a certain Wacom driver designed for Linux. It doesn't have anything like the Tablet Input Panel, Handwriting Recognition engine or anything like what Windows XP/Vista includes in the box. Instead, it just allows the pen to be an input instead of using a trackstick (touchstick), touchpad, or external mouse.

20. Nichod

Nichod Scribbler - Standard Member

I just want the Tablet for the Wacom, not for writing, etc. Though there are various programs that offer handwriting recognition, keyboard, etc on Linux.

Linux offers: xstroke (gesture commands), xvkbd(on screen keyboard), xournal (linux journal), notelab (linux-windows OS journal), gjournal (linux journal)

Those are just a few. And I might jump on using the Tablet for more, but need to pick one out first. And I'm hoping someone will test it out for me. Pretty please.