Gateway C-140X Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by thaluckyspoon, Jul 4, 2007.

1. greg donovan

greg donovan Pen Pal - Newbie

that is one i want to look into as well. painter is 79 right now from corel's site.

2. tabletonthevista

tabletonthevista Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey guys, another thing. The AC adapter does get quite warm (but not too hot to hold). Is that normal?

3. Bobguy

Bobguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Most power adapters typically have around 90% or less power efficiency, so it's normal for them to warm up a bit under normal operation. Keep in mind that all systems express some energy loss as heat, especially the power adapter in question, which has to transform at about 90 watts per hour under full load.
    That being said, if your power adapter is just warm to the touch and not uncomfortably hot, then you probably don't have anything to worry about.

4. tabletonthevista

So general rule of thumb with any part of the device (including cables) is that if you can hold it for an extended period, no red flags should be raised yet?

I know some people said they used Windex on the screen. But as far as the cloth goes, any marked for use with LCD screens should be good too? (In particular, I'm thinking about lint-free cloth... it looks sort of like a cotton sheet, but not that fluffy. Does the one that come with the machine have any special additive or something? How bout just plain old cotton t-shirts? This thing (chassis and screen) is a fingerprint magnet!

Oh and random thought, did anyone remove the stickers? Especially the Pen Garage one?

5. Bobguy

Bobguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Wires heating up to the point where they are noticeably warm is a sign that they're being stressed beyond their capacity, which is usually not good. As for not being able to hold it for an extended period of time, I wouldn't say that'd be the best estimated lower bound, but I can't really think of a clearer example right now.

As for a cleaning cloth, I've found that a microfiber cloth works very well at cleaning fingerprints off of nearly anything that's shiny. A lens cleaning solution in combination with the cloth would be optimal, but it still works well alone.

6. tabletonthevista

Oops. I accidently bagged my sleeping machine for maybe half an hour. Luckily it didn't come out hot.. a little warm (like normal temp).

Have people had issues with ZoneAlarm? It completely froze and and the machine just heated up! A restart didn't fix it. But a hard reset did.

bobguy, I can understand cabels getting warm a problem. Would you also expect it from that rectangular power brick?

7. dgh725

dgh725 Ah! I've found it!

Remember that the Wacom digitizer is an RF (radio frequency) device and causes a static field. This not only allows the pen to work, but also is a dust magnet. I've delt with it on my Toshiba Protege 3505 for 5 years - you just need to clean the screen more often than on a "normal" laptop.

8. Mikiepoo

Mikiepoo Pen Pal - Newbie

The pen garage sticker was one of the first stickers to go. It's stuck on my monitor, for my desktop.:)

9. KriSpY162

KriSpY162 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the mogo mouse... any1 else who also has it do i always have to go to the program and click connect for to work? Will it ever just detect on its own?

10. Bobguy

Bobguy Pen Pal - Newbie

To clarify, (as I wasn't really thinking entirely clearly at 2 in the morning yesterday) a warm power brick is perfectly normal (both of mine are usually quite warm to the touch after extended use, especially when charging batteries), but warm wires are obviously bad.

As far as sleeping the laptop and putting it in a bag go, that should probably be perfectly fine. Sleep mode only uses the little power required to keep the RAM from being erased. I've had mine in sleep mode for several hours before without noticeable heat gain or battery loss.