Gateway C-140X Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by thaluckyspoon, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

What do you know... my computer was delayed until the 4TH OF SEPTEMBER! now that is definately after i will be starting school, i already sent an email back to customer service, and im definately going to get something to compensate for this rediculous situation.

2. DRR

DRR Pen Pal - Newbie

I received an email Friday afternoon that I needed to call Gateway regarding my order. I didn't read it until after Gateway's close of business Friday. I just called and the lady said she was sorry to inform me that my order would be delayed as late as August 31. She needed to know if I wanted to continue with the order or cancel it. I assured her that I was willing to wait. All she would say regarding the cause of the delay is that there has been overwhelming demand for this new 14" tablet PC and that many schools had recommended this tablet to their student bodies prior to classes this year.

So for me:

order date 7/10
    EAD[0] = 7/24
    EAD[1] = 8/13
    EAD[2] = 8/16
    EAD[3] = 8/31

I am disappointed, but, along with the rest of the overwhelming throng, this particular combination of dedicated graphics, WACOM, full sized keyboard, 14" screen, powerful CPU, Bluetooth, wireless, long battery life and reasonable price point finally crossed a line in the sand that I have been maintaining for many many years.

It's ironic that my wish list always included a standard "letter" sized 8.5x11 inch screen. I just realized that a standard "letter" sized sheet of paper, when laid over a standard full sized keyboard, leaves no room for the navigation keys. So the C-140X's 7.5x12 inch screen turns out to be the perfect compromise on screen size for me.

This IS my "dream machine" and I will gladly wait patiently these last few days of my long long vigil.

Then again maybe it's just because I'm an old fart and I have so much experience at the waiting game.

3. chriscannon

i agree with you. This laptop is perfect... almost too good to be true! hmmm thats a thought...

anyway i know i have to wait, and ill be kicking myself forever if i settle for anything less. I just hope i get some sort of compensation for the rediculously long wait.

4. MarkT

MarkT Venerable Optimist

Well I'm an old fart too and will wait as long as needed, "Good things come to those who wait". On another note though it was actually humorous when I called to ask about the delay, I did not get the person who sold to me and the person I did get was rather clueless, she first thought that mine might be delayed because they are moving one of there production plants back stateside from Mexico. :) I said well mine is not being made there. A little later she reiterated that mine was probably being delayed because they are moving one of there production plants back stateside from Mexico. Again I said that could not be a factor because mine was being assembled in China, she says "Oh" (Thought you all would enjoy this :) ) Anyway, I told her thank you and let her think she had helped me :)

5. chriscannon

thats messed up... gateway is full of some serious bull crap from thier customer service...

6. MarkT

MarkT Venerable Optimist

Well I tend to think that she was possibly new or something, everyone has to start somewhere and anyone who starts a new job will not know everything at first. Think about it, what kind of a price are you getting on your laptop? I suspect they can't keep a profit margin by paying much more than the least amount of money for those jobs of customer service, you're not going to get rocket scientists at those prices... If they decide too pay more, guess who will pay their salaries, Yep, you...

7. chriscannon

This is a reply i got back from customer service after they delayed my order. They honestly dont care if you cancel, they dont need your buisiness because they have thousands of other peoples. Its sad. FYI, i did not cancel, but did ask for some compensation for the wait.

8. MarkT

MarkT Venerable Optimist

Yes, seems pretty cut and dried, and if you do cancel they will just use the parts that would have gone into yours into someone elses... I suspect they finally hit on a product that is more popular than they would have guessed and it caught them with their pants down so to speak. Not much to do but wait I guess..

9. chriscannon

yup, that is what i expect happened as well, which really bites, but apparently now i have a "high priority" order...

10. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

which means your EAD will get moved before everyone else's because you are high priority.