Gateway C-140X Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by thaluckyspoon, Jul 4, 2007.

1. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

I just want it to get here before the 20th of July so I can show it off to my nay saying co-workers at Office Depot before I resign.

If not I'll just have to bring it along when I pick up my last pay check.

2. p0int

p0int Pen Pal - Newbie

im thinking about ordering the Gateway C-140X, but i hear horrible things about gateway's customer support. anyone care to enlighten me? i dont want to be stuck with a faulty tablet and then never be able to have it fixed promptly.

3. HS77

HS77 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, Personally I've had much much worse. With dell I've had it to where you tell them the problem, they offer a solution you said you tried, then you explain to them their solution doesn't work, then they repeat their solution and tell you they know exactly what's wrong, and tell you what your problem is, and then you tell them that's not at all the problem you're having, but rather your problem is this other thing . . . and it just repeats until maybe, just maybe they tell you, "I'm sorry you're having problems. If you have any more, just contact me."

Sorry about that, Don't want to get off-topic here. But I hope Gateway doesn't have any problems with Customer Service . . . I've never had anything of theirs yet.

4. lyl

lyl o_0

I havnt heard anything bad about Gateways repair support. Only a few from sales, which is expected from any company really.

5. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

If you think Gateway has bad customer support head on over to the supposed 'legendary' Lenovo/IBM forum and read about the consumer woes. If the X61 wasn't one of the highest reviewed tablets ever it wouldn't stand a snow balls chance in hell.

Bottom Line: Everyone has bad experiences with a company at one time or another. I have never had a bad experience with gateway but I had a horrendous experience with Lenovo. (Actually refused my X61 tablet at the door and had it sent back) Others, like daboogieman, have had bad experiences with gateway.

Consumer reports lists gateway as #4 most reliable per 100,000 units sold. Take that with a grain of salt but it is higher than Apple and HP.

6. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have had excellent Gateway customer support...both general and tech
    support.
    It is also all North American support...makes a big difference when trying to
    communicate.

7. HS77

HS77 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have sad news, MAYBE, for me. I called and talked with a rep and asked some questions about my order.

I was told that my order could be delayed to ship on 8-3, and arrive at my house on 8-8!
    She said it was possible because I ordered it too close to 4 pm cst on Friday the 6th . . . But then that would simply put it being ordered Monday the 9th at the latest. Now, that doesn't seem possible to cause a delay like that, especially since people ordering it yesterday and today even have dates no later than the 24th . . .

I will definitely have to call them again and ask about that once more.

8. apinkpony

apinkpony Scribbler - Standard Member

Yea. You just gotta say "Well I have "friends" who ordered yesterday/today and they're ordered are ETAed at 7/23-7/24 so why would mine not be the same?

It's the power of numbers or something like that. But it worked for me to get the lady to confirm mine was already in production.

9. Sven

Sven Pen Pal - Newbie

That would be awful if that was the case and wouldnt really make much sense either. Best of luck

10. Efini

Efini Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a question for you more experienced gateway'ers. In the past Ive always built my own computers, so I always had the choice upfront how I wanted to partition my hard drives. I usually make at least 2 partitions, one for the OS and program files, and a second for storage (this makes it easier to wipe clean without moving/copying all that music, videos, pictures etc.)

So my question is: Can I give special instructions to gateway for my formatting specs or will I have to wipe and customize it myself when I get my computer?

I called my sales rep and he was out of the office today, so I figured I'd ask if anyone else has made special requests like that before.

11. siteslave

siteslave Pen Pal - Newbie

Efini,

I'm no experienced Gateway'er but then I'm not sure too many are here, so I'll take a stab.

I doubt they'll do that for you and if they did they'd probably charge some ridiculous price. Especially when you consider you can still do it yourself. I take it you've always partitioned your drives during install of your OS. You can however, do this after the OS is installed.

I've always used Partition Magic for this, but Vista has a new feature called Shrink that will allow you to repartition the drive.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1593/vista_shrink_partition

12. everlast2504

everlast2504 Pen Pal - Newbie

i have a gatway laptop. what they did on mine is have a partion that is for system recovery. however i bought it a best buy, and its the strangest gateway i found has a AMD chip in it. So it may be different.

C-140
    t7300
    2Gb ram
    120Gb Hdd
    dvd burner
    ati video

all shipped to me for a total of 1550.
    as with everyone 7-24, but thats the day before my birthday.

13. Gypsy Alazay

Gypsy Alazay Pen Pal - Newbie

According to the sales rep I talked with today, the order status on the web doesn't update until it has been shipped. It's because they changed to a new platform.

So if yours still says, 'processing' (like mine does) and you ordered it early, then don't fret because it's probably 'in production' and almost ready to be shipped.

14. superspypig

superspypig Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree.

I did the same thing though, picking up only the 80gb 5400 one. It can also save some power, though this is neglectable.

15. Tumi 07

Tumi 07 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just ordered my E-295C with an EAD of 7/24

Specs are:
    Windows XP Tablet PC edition
    T7300 Core 2 Duo
    4-year total protection
    3-year computrace complete
    Bluetooth
    ATI Radeon with fingerprint reader
    Two 12-cell batteries
    100 GB 7200 Harddrive
    2 GB of RAM
    Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition
    8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW with DVD-RAM
    Additional 90W AC adaptor

Price with tax: $ 3,153.33
    Price with tax (and education discount): $2,248.23

Saved about $905!:D

16. jorgecar

jorgecar PenPal

Great deal!
    Does your school have a contract for discounts with Gateway?

17. Efini

Efini Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for taking a stab at it. i decided that if i was going to use vista it would be the 64-bit which is not offered with this laptop. do you know of a partition software thats XP compatible?

18. Darak

Darak <This space for rent PST>

As mentioned in the original post, Partition Magic works for XP. The Windows installer CD (at least on XP) also has a simple partition manager, so unless the feature was removed in Vista, you can set up your partitions during the installation process.

19. Efini

Efini Pen Pal - Newbie

Just looked up Partition Magic. $70 for a program ill probably only use once, no thanks. Looks like ill have some work to do when my computer arrives. I appreciate the help though.

20. Darak

Darak <This space for rent PST>

Two words: Free.Trial.

And once again, you can just do it from within the Windows installer.