Gateway C-140X Battery

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Nosecandee, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nosecandee

Nosecandee Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys just got my new c140x today.
    One thing is bothering me , I only get about 3.5 hours of battery life using a 12 cell battery. Now I heard about people getting 8 hours (using low settings of course). I only surf the net and it lasts me about 3.5 hours with no gaming / dvd viewing. When I click on the battery icon it says that Battery #1 available and Battery # 2 is not available. My guess is that its not reading the 12 cell battery for some reason? Or could it simply be that the person who had this before screwed up the battery?

Any suggestions would be great!

2. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

do you have the modular too? if not, and only the 12, battery #1 IS the 12 cell.

Look in your manual or gateway's support site to recalibrate the battery.

3. MJCS

MJCS Pen Pal - Newbie

I get 5-6 on my 12-cell. Disable the modem, and bluetooth...dim your screen all the way down, set the battery mode (power saving) to power saver

4. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

I get 3-4 hours with normal use on a 6 cell.... try calibrating

5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I think this would be the problem. I assume you're using the wireless nic. Have you noticed how much warmer your computer gets when the wireless is on? That means energy is being used. I bet you'd get another hours if you turned off the wireless, and quite a bit more if you optimized your power settings for battery life. Basically, disable and uninstall everything you're not using, then turn down everything else to the lowest setting you can tolerate.

6. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

On my 12 cell I easily got through a 4 hour class last night with 45% showing left when it was done. I had wireless on the entire time and browsed to sites often during class. Including downloading 14 large power points and running several programs. I have not made any adjustments to the power settings - though I did bump the brightness UP a couple.

7. KingArthur10

KingArthur10 Pen Pal - Newbie

With the 8 cell battery, I get about 3.5-4hrs out of my battery with wifi on, bluetooth off, and screen brightness at full. I surf the web, take notes, etc.