Gateway C-140X and MPC E-295C the same?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Vertrucio, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertrucio

Vertrucio Pen Pal - Newbie

So, while looking at the gateway site I noticed a blurb about the Gateway business computer division being sold to MPC. I follow the link and it turns out that they're already selling the same model as the Gateway C-140, with all the same options, for about $200 less than the C-140X sale price.

Gateway C-140X
    http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529666090.php

MPC S-7235C
    http://pro.mpccorp.com/smallbiz/notebooks/s7235c.html

Has anyone bought from or heard of this company? It used to be called MicronPC and in order to save a few hundred, I was thinking about buying from here.

Looks like the only difference is that the S 7235C is in the small business section. Meanwhile, they have a model that's the exact same thing in the other sections listed at the E-295 priced at $200 higher. What gives?

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

The SMB, Government, and Educational section of Gateway has been acquired by MicronPC; thus the E-series and S-series of the Gateway C-140X (which is the consumer model) are now under the MicronPC name.

3. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its been discussed before. Certain companies have contracts with Gateway so to make it easy, they label the units differently. There ARE some differences, namely security features and the hard drive protection on the business models.

Its no difference from Dell's Latitude and Inspiron notebooks. The Latitudes have HD shock protection and other features the home line carries.

We've also said when they were all GW to go and price out the different models. At various times the Small Business models, while having a higher initial price point, had cheaper options and sometimes a 15% discount which on higher spec'd models, was cheaper than the home model.

4. bobo

bobo Pen Pal - Newbie

I priced both models yesterday, then bought the C-140x. Even with an additional discount of 5% on the MPC price, it was still higher than the Gateway price. I got the Columbus Day $200 off (which brings the C-140x base down to $899), plus an additional $100 off from my sales rep after adding a few options. There's also free shipping, and a mail-in rebate for a free case.

The main difference between the two was that the MPC version comes standard with Vista Business, and you can't downgrade to Premium. Going from Premium to Business on the C-140x is an extra $100. Here's a quote for the S-7235C configured like my C-140x:

I got this same system (with Home Premium vice Vista Business) for:

System $1334
    Shipping: Free
    Handling: $20
    Tax: $118
    Total: $ $1472

5. nikecar

you should have gotten the 1GB Ram option and purchase a 2GB stick at NewEgg for cheaper.

also, i'd have gotten a T7xxx processor instead of the T5xxx you got. You bought basically last year's processor that is getting outdated already. (yes I know tech changes, but still).

Fingerprint IS awesome!!! No passwords to remember, I swipe my finger and my favorite passworded sites load automatically.

6. Vertrucio

Vertrucio Pen Pal - Newbie

Alright, thanks guys!

7. bobo

bobo Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I would have, but I couldn't get the ram 1x1GB, rather than 2x512K, and I didn't want to try to buy 2x1GB, then sell the 2x512K. Also, I'm a little cash-poor at the moment, so I financed 12 months-same as cash.

Regarding the processor...I'm not going to play games on my tablet and I have never taxed my current laptop with lesser specs than the C-140x I'm getting, so I don't think it will be a problem. I didn't want to pay $150+ extra for performance I don't need.

Oh yeah, I did get the fingerprint reader also.

8. nikecar

you have 2x512MB....

When you buy a 2GB stick, you replace one 512MB, leaving you with a total of 2.5GB RAM.

Folks can state ts best to install in pairs, but really, several folks have this setup and it works great. the average person won't notice a difference anyways, and a 2GB stick is cheaper at newegg than with GW.

9. dgh725

dgh725 Ah! I've found it!

The main question that started this thread was if the C140X was the same as the E-295C. The answer is...almost.

The E-295C comes with the Trusted Computer Module (TPM) chip (and perhaps a different BIOS) that adds hardware level security capabilities.

Otherwise, they are pretty much the same (except that the default build has different configuraion).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.