Gaming on the TX2500 - My Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kristhagreat, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

I have the 3gb setup and it's dual channel done wrong

apparently the 2gb stick is 667mhz and the 1gb stick is 533mhz

last I checked doesn't mixing up the frequencies hinder performance?

correct me if I'm wrong,
    -Tyler

2. de Souza

de Souza Pen Pal - Newbie

That's worse than I thought. :p At least mine came with two 800mhz sticks. But still isn't enough, you need two identical sticks (same capacity, frequency...) to enable dual channel otherwise it's like having a single 3gb stick. It's not the end of the world, but could be better.

As far as I know mixing frequencies hinder the performance of the faster stick, as they'll both run at the lowest frequency - in your case, 533mhz.

3. andy_boy

andy_boy Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody want to take an educated guess on whether these babies at max spec (Dual 2.4 Ghz, 4GB of RAM + Windows 7) will be able to handle Starcraft II?

4. yarpus

yarpus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, that's my first post here. I've tried to play few games on my HP TX2510 US version with Windows 7 on-board and it looks quite a weak. I've installed last ATI drivers from ATI/AMD site, not HP's and I don't have ATI Override utility. Can someone help me a bit?

5. yarpus

yarpus Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, now it's my time to say something about gaming. So... (I'm running HP TX2510us with 2x2.1Ghz CPU and Windows 7 on-board).

Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment
    Thanks to Seven's virtualisation even BG1 and PS:T are working well. Original games aren't working on widescreen resolutions (some of them even don't have alternative ones) but thanks god that there is Widescreen mod. It allows to easily change screen resolution. For example in BG2 you'll have black holes in menu - but game looks normal.

For BG1 players I do reccomend using Baldur's Gate Trilogy.

If you want to play Planescape: Torment, Widescreen isn't enough. After using it, you have to install modified interface proper for TX2500 native resolution which you can find here!

What about touching, I was always dreaming about playing BG2 on tablet. It's great feeling... but it isn't playable thanks to the problem with scrolling map. When you're using your finger, you cannot scroll map/line of your sight. And playing with pen isn't so cool. I'll try to look for some solution for this.

Other games
    Street Fighter IV runs just fine with 800x600 resolution, everything on LOW with exception of Areas (High) and Characters (Mid).

The Secret of Monkey Island: I've got a little problem, when I'm scrolling the map (cursos is near to end of screen) game don't see my cursor, and displays this normal from Windows. That's a little bug but when you want to leave some area... gah.
    Warcraft 3: everything on MAX. Works fine.
    Red Alert 2: ahem.
    Starcraft: minor glitches in menu, but maybe that's thanks to RIPped version.

I'm also going to check: Mass Effect, Bioshock, Left 4 Dead, F.E.A.R.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. yarpus

yarpus Pen Pal - Newbie

Damn. I was playing Left 4 Dead on MAX (with exception of shaders at MED and AA turned off) - and everything was fine, but at the beginning of 2nd episode computer started to be really hot. I've updated my BIOS. Damn. :/

7. Tiezep

is the bios update bad for gaming?

because my fan never kicked into to full bore when gaming after I updated to bios F.08 :/

I don't mind if my laptop has a loud fan running at high, as long as it can stay cool I'm down with that.

-Tyler

8. Pyro9219

Pyro9219 Pen Pal - Newbie

Add Champions Online to games that run well that are modern. Native Resolution, and slider set to low (looks good still, and smooth fps in busy areas)

9. pechorin

pechorin Pen Pal - Newbie

good news, i have tried the Batman Arkham Asylum demo and it runs!

at lowest settings, it slow down a little when it gets too hot, but it is playable

10. Tiezep

anyone evern try modern warfare 2 yet?

is it playable, and does it support game pads?

same goes for cod5 WaW

thanks,
    -Tyler