Gaming on the TX2500 - My Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kristhagreat, Jul 13, 2008.

1. kristhagreat

kristhagreat Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't seen many reviews on gaming so I'm just throwing in my 2 cents for gamers looking at the TX2500.

Emulation - I was able to run every emulator on high settings (N64/MAME/ect.) except for the PS2.
    PS2 - Games ran at playable speeds but still only about half FPS. This is mostly due to the high specs needed to run the emulator because it is still early in development. Also partly because the graphics card is not exceptional. I wouldn't be surprised if I got a significant speed increase with later plug-ins and emulator releases.
    Dreamcast - I was extremely impressed with running Dreamcast games with full settings. This laptop tore through the Dreamcast like it was nothing. Currently my favorite emulator;)

Games - So far what I've tried...I've been able to run games released before 2007 on full settings. Included was Resident Evil 4 ^_^ Still yet to try Crysis or Stalker or any of those games. (Mostly due the fact that I'm not a PC gamer <---Xbox 360 user). I will wait until the Crysis stand-alone expansion is released because Crysis supposedly is coded badly which is why it gets slow-downs on super computers. I'm just glad that I have a computer that can put my gamer tag to use! I may go out and buy some "Games for Windows".

Conclusion - This laptop gets the job done and I know if it can handle gaming this well...the performance is no problem at all.

2. RonaldRaygun

RonaldRaygun Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, good review. I can add a little though.
    Crysis- yea.... on low settings, and even then its a little choppy.
    Stalker - It's playable at low resolutions (about med settings?) but I'm pretty sure it's unplayable on full screen because the FOW(feild of view) gets messed up. Like you said it's very poorly coded.
    Company of heroes works great on low/med
    Titan quest - works on low
    Call of duty 4 - I was surprised on low settings this runs very well.
    Team Fortress two - Works on medium to high but when the action kicks up its best to be in low

I didn't do a re-install of windows though so your guys' results may vary.

3. Jpwinks

Jpwinks Pen Pal - Newbie

All Ill need it for is Spore, Starcraft II and Diablo III and I am set for about the next 3years LOL!

4. Cadaeic

Cadaeic Scribbler - Standard Member

You're good for the next three years because that's how long it'll take Blizz to put out the new Diablo ;)

But yeah, Spore+++

5. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes! I'm in the exact same boat! Hopefully it won't be too demanding. I'm still waiting for Blizz to release some more spec information, because now they really don't have much available. (Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3) I was reading under the starcraft requirements and it said their might be some exclusive Dx10 stuff. (thr Tx2500 is Dx10) So thats kinda exciting.

6. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've tried BF2142, GTR2, TMNations, Crysis and GRID. All but Crysis and GRID run fine. Crysis won't run smooth even in the lowest settings and GRID didn't want to start in my other machine(replaced it because of a defective pen recognition), I've yet to try it again but I read that their latest patch fixes this, we'll see.

edit:
    GRID: runs ok in low settings.
    BF2142: low-med
    GTR2: med-high
    GT-Legends: high

7. Rex Orbis2

Rex Orbis2 I Bleed Black and Gold

Yeah I just tried Company of Heroes and and very surprised at how well it runs. When I first installed it it was awful, but after switching shaders from DX10 to DX9 High, I'm running everything at medium at native res.

8. cjaydb

cjaydb Pen Pal - Newbie

I loaded up World in Conflict on mine, and if you know about the game then you know how very demanding that is on the CPU and graphics card. I manage Low settings on it just fine, getting b/w 20-25 fps, switching to medium I can get a playable 10-20 fps, depending which options I turn off in the menu, i.e. water texture and shadows and clouds, most of that stuff I don't even pay attention to haha. Just to compare, on my Inpsiron 1520 which has a 256MB 8600GT, it can barely, and I mean barely, play it on High, most of the time I'm in Medium. I've read around as well people with the 8800GTX on desktops have trouble running it. (Dunno if its just the drivers) It tends to regularly crash on me when the battles get really intense. It got so bad to the point where after 3 weeks from getting it I stopped playing it altogether. Now though, so far though in my tx2510 it hasn't once :D

I've been meaning to try Medieval Total War II which is also pretty demanding.

9. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

GRID does run decent, 800x600 with a bit of candy, or higher res and low, your choice, but runs completely playable and enjoyable... was suprised and happy to see that... FPS in the 30's, good stuff, GREAT game

10. KevinTablet

KevinTablet Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm getting my butt kicked at Halo Combat Evolved without any lag but this is probably old new.

I'm assuming that older FPS will work fine on my tx2506, can you guys recommend some games? (I'm not big on graphics but big on game play)

Thanks