Gaming on the T4210

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by alaren, Jul 22, 2006.

1. alaren

alaren Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings!

Well, it's been almost a week since my T4210 (2GHz dual core, 1GB RAM) arrived, and I am still having a lot of fun. My decision to get the T4210 was based on a few reservations about the integrated video... in the end, I determined that since I have a gaming desktop and since the tablet was for school use, I needed to get the right tool for the job and I got the T4210.

However, law school doesn't start for another month, so I decided to have a little fun d^_^b. Specifically, I installed a few games and tried to play them, first in "standard" mode, then in "tablet" mode. As a disclaimer up front, I do not play First-Person Shooters and I'm comfortable with what a lot of people would call "low" resolution. I also was particularly interested in gaming in tablet mode, and I thought I'd share my findings here.

I started by installing Indigo Prophecy. On default settings this game ran very smoothly. In standard mode I had no problems. However, it apparently uses some funky mouse routines because my stylus made the cursor jump all over the place while my touchpad had no difficulties.

Then I installed Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II. Again, the game runs just fine, though it warned my that my video card did not meet the minimum specifications. Apparently most games cannot detect the true capabilities of the GMA950 because these routines (such as hardware T&L) are offloaded onto the processor and so even though the functionality is there, the games can't detect it.

Fortunately BfME2 only gave me a warning and went ahead and loaded up. (If I do find a game that refuses to load, I will try 3DAnalyze and report back with my findings.) In BfME2 I set the resolution to 1024x768 and the stylus worked perfectly (it does funky things in lower resolutions). I did have to make sure to rotate the screen to "landscape" mode before loading the game.

So, two fairly recent games loaded up with minimal difficulty. But as I was playing BfME2 with just my stylus, I found that the lack of keyboard was a tad crippling. So I thought, what games can I play with just a stylus? Well, you know, besides Solitaire.

What sprang to mind was old school CRPGs! I loaded Planescape: Torment and it ran beautifully, and it worked just fine with the stylus. But of course as an older D3D game it was a tiny square in the middle of my monitor, surrounded by a sea of black. Something had to be done!

I found this little doozy: "D3DWindower." It's all in Japanese but it works very well. It ran Torment in a nice little window, my stylus worked fine... but scrolling the screen (usually done by dragging the mouse to the edge) was very, very difficult. Finally I found a settings menu, and on the last tab, I checked the checkbox on the bottom on the left.

Amazing! This option bound my cursor into the game window, allowing me to scroll with my stylus. The only drawback is, even though it runs in a window, you can't switch windows without ALT-TAB (because you can't select other windows with your stylus). I'm thinking about how I might get around this.

So! The current state of gaming in pure tablet mode leaves a few things to be desired. However my T4210 has run everything I've thrown at it so far, which pleases me immensely; those of you who are worried about the GMA950, don't be, unless you absolutely can't tolerate lower resolutions (in which case the bottleneck on the T4210 is actually the display, not the video card). I am excited about the prospect of playing Starcraft in pure tablet mode, I think it will work better than BfME2 but I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

What? you haven't tried starcraft? thats blasphemy.

Every since i heard about the tablet PC I have always wanted to play starcraft on it!

I used to think about using my school's smartboards to play starcraft. hehehhehe

3. chicshaa

chicshaa Pen Pal - Newbie

Does World of Warcraft work (Lowest possible settings)?

4. gmanfunk

gmanfunk Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, WoW works on my T4210 (1.83ghz, 1gb ram) and I have the video settings all of the way up. I only get a little lag when running through the major cities, otherwise it runs fine. I tried it in tablet mode and decided that I would have to make myself a crazy UI to make it work, you need too many buttons to play. But make sure you're plugged in when ur playing, i forgot to yesturday and it ate my battery in like ~2 hours.

5. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds like it runs games better than my desktop. I think I should stop worrying about the dedicated vs integrated cards, sounds like whatever I get is going to be way better than what I'm using now. I'm pretty easy to please I guess.

6. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

lol, what graphics card do you have in your desktop now?

7. Fido

Gigabyte Radeon 9250. I got it because my old graphics card was going on the fritz, so I just looked for a cheap replacement. I think the main reason of the slowness may be the processor. An old P4 1.66Mhz, and I don't even have a GB of RAM. Well for what it's worth this computers held up through the thick and thin, and I'm not complaining.

8. {NOC}MONK

{NOC}MONK Pen Pal - Newbie

WOW...

I just felt old and Im only 22.
    When I think of old I think of PII :eek:

9. numbah

numbah Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not that old, but I remember when my family upgraded from Intel 80386 to the "brand-new" 486DX 50 MHz chip. That was exciting. I bet my cell phone is now faster than that, haha.

10. Fido

Hey you're only 4 years older than me! Anyways, in computer terms that's like 20 years. I was pretty out of date with computer specs until I started doing some intense research recently. I didn't even know dual processors were so prevalent already. I still thought that the P4 was the leading brand name.