Gaming on my new HP Stream 7...

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ngrignon, Dec 2, 2014.

1. ngrignon

ngrignon Pen Pal - Newbie

I just wanted to test my new little portable 100$ PC with some PC games. So I installed steam and uploaded some game from my library:
    - Skyrim: didn't want to pass the NEW game button without a mouse connected with the OTG cable. After that, I tested it with low settings and the native tablet resolution and it worked well but barely fluid (8-15 FPS), If someone can let me know how to force a lower resolution (less then the minimum that the tablet gave me : 1024x768) I will gladly try it again with 800x600 or lower.
    - Silent Hunter 3: same, the touch didn't work alone, only with a mouse connected. I unchecked the "use high res texture" and the game run pretty good and is still gorgeous. Another advantage is that it is playable with a mouse only, so you just need the mouse to enjoy it.
    - Sid Meir Ace Patrol; worked flawlessly with touch screen technology. (but it is a game for this tech)
    - good old Janes 688i hunter killer with Steam worked also flawlessly and even with just touch screen available!

now some + and - :
    + Plays rather well any 3-5 years old PC games!
    + Mouse connected with OTG is recognized immediately and worked very well (and much better than your big fingers with such a little screen and little texts!)
    + So cool to get the portability, the power and the vast softwares/games of the windows plateform for just 100 bucks!!! take that Android with your dumb down games/softwares!!
    ----------
    - 7 inch Screen with high native resolution makes touch navigation difficult and cumbersome with Windows complexity (small texts, icons, lots of informations etc...)
    - A lot of PC games will require a mouse and sometimes keyboard to play well. so it it not as portable as it could.
    - Sound jack gets hardware ambiant sounds which make you want to invest in a bluetooth headphone or a BT receiver for your favourite headphone (mine is already ordered!)
    - The native 20 gb left on your internal card even with another 32/64 SD card will quickly fill up with usually larger PC games 2-10 GB (Skyrim basic takes up 8 Gigs on its own)...
    - 1 GB of ram is a real downer, they really could have done better on this chapter. I already added 4 Gb of virtual ram (slower) just to make sure few games will run at all.
    - Battery is ok for normal utilisation but drains quickly with intensive 3D games or HD videos.

Anyway, with all it's limitation I don't regret my 100$ impulse! HP is really digging a white shark mouth's bite into the Android market with this one, and if not yet perfect yet, the next generation of this tablet could become the definite android killer.

2. teeth_03

teeth_03 Pen Pal - Newbie

I did the same thing, I picked it up from Office Depot on Black Friday for $79.99.

I game on mine using a Nyko Playpad mobile Bluetooth controller with the combination of Xpadder to support older games.

Currently I have installed Halo, Splinter Cell, KOTOR, Morrowind, Star Trek Elite Force, Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Blur, and they all work well with the controller and Xpadder combination.

It is interesting to note that SWBF2 plays perfectly fine while KOTOR has a hint of lag every once in a while. Great little device for 2005 era games.

But you either need a controller or KB/M to lug around. Don't bother trying GestureWorks either, it tends to kill performance in games which we can't have on this little guy.

3. ngrignon

ngrignon Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I opted for a BT keyboard and mouse (found on ebay)... too much games not working with touch technologie... now I really have a very portable little PC :) , I also have my PS3 dual shock operational too in bluetooth mode.
    installed at the moment: How to survive (work well), Silent Hunter 3 (work well without mouse!), IGI 2 (perfect), Ground Control 2 (Perfect), Cinemaware Wings remastered (Work OK), and War thunder (which surprisingly works not that bad at 800x600 low setting - 15-20fps! good enough for tank gameplay)

What didn't work: Fable Anniversary (but I'll try the original), Skyrim work but for an unknown reason, the game doesn't let me get the 800x600/640x400 resolution.

What is on the pipeline now that I got a 64GB card (which work well despite the fact that the official notice is up to 32GB):
    - Fallout 3 (not vegas), Virtual Skipper 5, Call of duty 4 MW, GTR2, Assassin Creed 1, Thief 3 deadly Shadows (not the new one)...

The big letdown for me is the battery that drains the power very quickly playing windows PC games... but this apart, amazing little tablet for the price.

4. teeth_03

teeth_03 Pen Pal - Newbie

I assumed Skyrim would have been too much, not to mention the amount of space it takes up, so I opted to give Morrowind a try (never played through it so its a new game for me).

CoD4 won't work unless you put it on the main drive, I tried to put it on my D drive and the installation complained that it had to be on C