Gaming on Fujitsu?(maybe)?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by dukefan6842, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dukefan6842

dukefan6842 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, so ill start off by saying that ive never owned a computer with dedicated graphics my whole life, its against everything i believe in :) but in this case it seems the right thing to do. im goin to vt, tablet requirement blah blah, and im bringing my desktop to my dorm (7000+ in 3dmark05), so im thinking i should get the thinnest lightest tab possible for taking to class...the fujitsu core duo tabs, basically what im wondering is if gma950 could handle CS:Source at 1024x768 with eye candy off and settings at low (maybe medium?) with fps 20-30+? i know im probably waaaay too hopeful on this but i was just wondering if anyone had tried. if not im assuming it wont have trouble with cs 1.6/older fps's like quake3 and whatnot. I will need the occasional on the go gaming fix im sure......thanks guys!

(the other tab im considering is the acer c204tmi, which has an older 760, go6200, and i know will run cs:s and will weigh and extra pound)

if u could reccomend one over the other id appreciate it but im really shooting for my first question to be answered about css on the fujitsu

also might wait for x60t, seems that itll be the same as the ibm but with AMERICAN quality haha

2. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey, do you go to Duke University? I do!

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Acer (with the Go 6200) WILL run Quake 3 just fine. Trying to run the Quake 3/Doom 3 games with the Intel GMA you will pull your hair out - no matter how much eye candy you turn off. Trust me - the frame rates will simply be unplayable.

4. dukefan6842

dukefan6842 Pen Pal - Newbie

nah i didnt get into duke im goin to vt but my friends are starting at duke this year so ill still be at the bball games.....

and what i need to know is specifically if the fujituse 4020 will run CS:Source at playable fps with all eyecandy off at 1024x768 with detail on low

5. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

Now i don't have a 4120...

But dude there is no way that intel gma is going to be able to run the source engine. Maybe integrated graphics have made leaps and bounds since the last time I checked (which i doubt by the way).

My laptop dell inspiron 8600 (1.6ghz p-m, 1gb ddr, geforce4200go) can barely whip out a reasonable frame rate to play at 1280x960 (widescreen). But then again I am not using minimal settings. (i got like shadows off, shaders on, lighting med, reflections med, vsync on, NO AA, NO AF)

Either way im not pushing the 60fps locked that you would need to play CS source and have a chance at not dying whenever someone throws a smoke grenade.

Maybe someone with a 4120 can chime in becuase im curious to see how lousy the integrated graphics is.

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, I'm no games player but I think you will be very pleasently suprised at how well considering it can handle modern day gameplay.

I'll have to ask my grandkids to load something.

....... then again, maybe not. After all I would like my tablet back :D

7. alaren

alaren Pen Pal - Newbie

I'l intrigued by Barry's response... Quake 3 and Doom 3 are two VERY different propositions!

Based on the minimum specs for CSS (DirectX 7(!!!) video card, 256MB RAM) I do not see why the T4210 couldn't handle it, especially with a gig of RAM. Reviews of CS:S tend to rag on the "primitive" graphics, and some fairly low-end cards seem to run it (I've seen reports of Radeon 8500 doing over 40 frames at 1024x768).

However, I do not play FPS games so I can't really comment specifically... maybe you really *do* need 1280x1024 resolution at 60frames-per-second to enjoy them. Which in my opinion is just one more reason to stick to other genres d^_^b.

If there was a demo I'd download it and tell you for sure, but there's not. Is there a similar game with a demo I could try running for you?

Also, check here: Intel's Compatibility List. It flatly contradicts Barry's Doom 3 assertion. CS:S isn't on the list, but it should give you some ideas... also, I understand that with 3DAnalyze spoofing some capabilities for you, you can actually run a number of the games on this list that are marked in red.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. goreckm

goreckm Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the reason one can't play Quake 3 or Doom 3 based games is because they use OpenGL, and intel may have not optimized their drivers for that. I remember when Doom 3 was released, ATI's drivers gave consistently worse results (than nVidia) until not to long ago, when they fixed the OpenGL drivers. So staying away from OpenGL based games would probably be advised IMHO.
    I remember reading on this forum that WoW works fine, so I don't think there should be a problem with CS:S. I should be receiving my 4210 within the next 2 weeks, so if you can wait that long, I'll post my results then. (Although I'm more interested in having DoD: Source run).

9. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

Doom 3 rapes my geforce4200go. And I would be delightfully surprised if intel integrated gma 950 is better than my geforce4200go (even if its 3 years old). Basically playing games with the lowest settings possible (textures, shaders, shadows, reflections) is a total dealbreaker for me. Totally kills the experience. Id rather not play at all then play with low settings.

Oh and another thing is 40fps max is different than 40fps avg is different than 40fps locked. To be able to have a meaningful gaming experience you at least need 60fps locked in CS:S, otherwise you are just going to get a whole lot of dead and frustrated.

10. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

I've heard the GMA950 compared to a GeForce2mx in power...now, that's the card i'm currently running in my desktop (yes, how retro of me!). You CAN play Doom3/HalfLife2 on a GeForce2mx IF YOU PUT IT IN 640x480 and all settings on low. It won't be pretty, but if the GMA is of similar speed, it should run...just don't expect miracles here.

If you have the option in the game, even run it at 512*384...that way it will be exactly 1/4 the screens normal res, so the resize algorithm won't ruin the picture so much...

Oh, and as for Quake 3, I think you guys are talking about Quake 4? Quake 3 is a very old game now and should run fine on a GMA950...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.