Galaxy Z Fold 3

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by nyb72, Feb 27, 2021.

?

Will DStrauss keep his Fold3?

1. Yes, the companion device unicorn exists!

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. No, he eventually goes back to the walled garden...

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the orange. It's bold. I like bright colors so I can more easily find my phone when I forget where I set it down. I miss how it laid flat before I got the pen, but I like having the pen with me now. The elastic is *very* tight. No chance of the pen slipping out, but it's work to get it in.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

desertlap and nnthemperor like this.
  2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So my Fold (not the 3) is still randomly unlocking in my pocket. As in fully, allowing anything to be accessed. Yet outside of my pocket I can't access anything but basics unless I go through security.

This also happened with the Note Edge I had before and a search reveals that many models of Samsung phones have this issue.

Is anyone having similar issues with the Fold 3, or has Samsung finally fixed this gaping security hole (and major annoyance)?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    desertlap and nnthemperor like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Cool. I'm going to order the green one!

violajack likes this.
  4. desertlap

@Tams

I have seen it in a limited way which may not apply in your case, but with me it was the key fob for my car. What was happening is that whenever I got near my car which with my fob automatically unlocks the doors and is also used to start the car, was also unlocking the phone.

In my case moving the key fob to a different pocket solved it for me

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

How freaking random. Welcome to life in a sea of RF tsunamis.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Tams

Unfortunately unless my thigh is an RF transmitter, I doubt that's the case as I don't have any other RF transmitting devices on me most of the time.

That said, it could be any or many other devices around and that the phone is sensitive to enough of them for it to happen every now and then.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

desertlap and Tams like this.
  8. desertlap

This has potentially wider impact for all Android Tablets IF and that's a big if. the OEMS actually deploy it.

Interestingly apparently Samsung has NOT committed to 12L for the fold. eg. is it a phone or a tablet? Not to mention how fond they are of their own OneUI

Ideally and perhaps wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to see Samsung deploy 12L for the inside display and regular 12 for the front display. That may prove challenging from a software standpoint too.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. Tams

You can understand why they'd be unwilling though.

For so long, they've had to make up for a lot that is lacking in stock Android themselves. Sure, their UIs have had issues, but it takes Google years to bother integrating most of the good stuff that Samsung (and a few others) offer.

And then there's not wanting to be too tied to Google. Google will at best not care if a partner ends up struggling due to some of their actions. At worst, they are malicious and try to control those who use Android. Hence likely the main reason Samsung have their own suite of apps and their own store.

10. desertlap

Yes, I've heard more than one Samsung person describe their partnership with Google as complicated.

That seems to be the norm for Google though as when they still owned Motorola's mobile device business we heard no end of griping from the Moto guys about how difficult the Android group was.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    nnthemperor and Tams like this.