Galaxy Z Fold 3

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by nyb72, Feb 27, 2021.

?

Will DStrauss keep his Fold3?

1. Yes, the companion device unicorn exists!

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. No, he eventually goes back to the walled garden...

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Welcome to the club (sorry - no secret handshake). I hope you come to like it as much as I have (recovering iPhone addict here).

As for the Best Buy babies, I understand the stores are ordering new shirts for the Black Friday chaos:
    [​IMG]

Tams, nyb72 and Bishop like this.
  2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm using it with the nexdock now. This is very close to a one device kind of solution. I've tried it before with the Note 9, but often felt the canvas was too small for certain things and pulled out a tablet instead. The fold isn't huge when open, and I don't have a pen to try with onenote yet, but it seems like a good enough size to fill the tablet role. The biggest drawback I run into with the nexdock in this video call age is that it doesn't have a separate camera, so I can't make a video call without some other piece of equiptment plugged in. The nexdock has a USB port, but I haven't tried plugging in a webcam. Maybe that'll be this afternoon's r project.

I read for about 2.5 hours this morning and the battery dropped to mid 60s. That's about 7ish hours of inside screen on time. I think that'll be enough for a day. It's not like I can sit around reading all day once the kids get up. It's charging off the nexdock now so I'm already almost back to 100%. Now I have to remember to charge the nexdock.

Now if only OneNote on Android would let me make subpages. Grrrrrr. I have to go back to windows just to organize the kids' schoolwork.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

nyb72 and dstrauss like this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I get you. It is the discontinuities, inconsistencies and limitations of the UI that frustrate me most with Android apps. Don’t get me started on Google’s perfidies.

nyb72, violajack and nnthemperor like this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Learned a new word today. Confirmed, it's appropriate! :D :thumbsup:

nyb72, nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  5. dstrauss

Yes - but how is that Mini doing when it is sitting in your front pants pocket? :p

Sorry, that was a cheap shot. It really sucks that OneNote isn't as good on Android as iOS ESPECIALLY since a certain company makes and sells its OWN dual screen Android phone...:mad:

6. Bishop

No offense taken. The A5 journal notebook wouldn't fit in my front pocket either, and I'm on the go without it. Now I'm inking more now than I have since back in the Motion Computing days - and to better effect. The iPM6 + the softer tip is phenomenal.

Remember, I was an early order (which I almost never do), adopter and advocate of SDuo OG. It actually did me good service in difficult months when I had to be out of the office to deal with family issues in spite of its shortcomings. But M$ failed to fulfill it's own promises about optimized software, etc. and the developer community isn't going to to what M$ won't (can't?). That's why I don't plan on Duo Deux.

Very happy for the folks for whom SGZF3 is the answer.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  7. dstrauss

WOW - when did I miss NexDock - that looks like a pretty cool solution. Unfortunately I almost always carry my x360 if I suspect I'll have any amount of real work to do, so I've just been carrying a folding keyboard with the Fold 3 if overnight or a short road trip - pretty small canvas but works pretty well for me:

keyboard.jpg

JoeS and Eltos like this.
  8. dstrauss

That is so cool. I'm convinced I would have done the same thing had I not made the Fold 3 leap of faith; and although it has been a better tablet than my prior attempts with Android, it is a shadow of iOS...

Bishop, nnthemperor and Eltos like this.
  9. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm finding the bigger screen is acceptable for projects such as coding on an IDE and remote desktop work.

Some crazy "portable" projects that I intend to try soon:

1) Arduino board programming for work using an OTG cable.
    2) Intel compute stick running Windows 10 connected via Superdisplay to run native Win apps on the go offline. Maybe try real Clip Studio? hmm....

dstrauss likes this.
  10. Bishop

Curious, and can't tell from the aspect ratio: Is the hinge vertical or horizontal in your setup photo?

For thread consistency, I'll post my comparable iPM6 solution over in my iPM6 thread momentarily.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    nnthemperor likes this.