Galaxy Z Fold 3

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by nyb72, Feb 27, 2021.

?

Will DStrauss keep his Fold3?

1. Yes, the companion device unicorn exists!

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. No, he eventually goes back to the walled garden...

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not going talk about how much money I've spent on IEMs and portable DAC amp combos for my phone for that miniscule increase in sound fidelity because of HeadFi... Nope, not gonna, didn't happen, all a hoax...

Tams, bloodycape and desertlap like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

nyb72 likes this.
  3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh no! You're not a victim of there too?!

Though it make sense that aficianados (suckers) would corral around forums focusing on seeking the best quality/perfection.

bloodycape and nyb72 like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

File this one under "strange bedfellows" but Google and Samsung have created a site promoting the Fold 3, Flip, and Google services, basically an extended commercial - prelude to the Pixel Fold, or will the Pixel Fold be a "rebranded" Fold 3? Also, all the Android 12.1 rumors of being tuned for folding devices...

https://unfold.withgoogle.com/

nyb72 likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

[​IMG]

Yes, the honeymoon is going well even at the six weeks mark. One thing I've not touched on in all my previous boring reports is how much I LOVE the quality of both screens on the Fold3. These 12ohz OLED displays are just beautiful - and yes, like most consumers, I'm a sucker for the punchy saturated colors and unbelievable clarity (and I've been using Apple "retina" iPhones for years now). This also enhances text clarity and reviewing PDF's and other documents. It's just a lot of fun to use, and the productivity boosts are the icing on the cake.

I predict that nearly all of you will be on a Fold4, or Fold5 for certain, unless Apple comes through with the MacBook Air of folding phones in 2024...

If you have any contacts with Samsung, emphasize they have to work on a better pen solution and put this thing on Weight Watchers...

nnthemperor and nyb72 like this.
  6. nyb72

Slate phones don't seem to be getting any thinner and lighter to me lately. Seems like diminishing returns...

Not sure where you'll get weight savings on the Fold3, unless they can figure out a thinner hinge or battery.

I still think rollables conceptually are the way to go, incorporating the cover screen as part of a larger screen. Hopefully they could figure out how to make a bendable pen digitizer, and figure out how to prevent dust intrusion during rolling. But hey, I think pen storage would be easier with that form factor.

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  7. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A silo and a bezel so they can put in a decent inside camera (I was just using (one of) my Fold's yesteday and the quality is very good - the Fold 3's is not).

I'd also like a 3.5mm socket (again, yesterday I ran into that issue and ended up using my tablet tethered to my phone to listen...), but that's just not going to happen.

nyb72 and dstrauss like this.
  8. franzander

franzander Pen Pal - Newbie

It's probably a bit early, but I'm quite eager to see the Fold4. The likelihood of me getting on board with that one is relatively high I suppose (just need to hold out a couple more months), unless another compelling foldable option with pen input pops up in the meanwhile. (I think the one other form factor that night sway me I'd if Planet Computers brought a version of their forthcoming Astro Slide with pen support and maybe better cameras. Unfortunately, given the company's size, chances especially for the latter are rather low, but I'd still be excited.)

I'm with dstrauss in hoping that eventually there'll be a smaller pen option (maybe even siloed) again for the Fold4. That and the hope for a better zoom camera are the main reasons for not getting the Fold3 yet (plus my Note 9 is actually working quite alright still).

Was sort of hoping for the MS Duo2, but somehow it doesn't appeal to me as much (I think the missing outside screen is my main gripe there - the notification bar seems nice and all, but doesn't quite cut it for me.)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    yodamiked, Tams, dellaster and 2 others like this.
  9. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I did it. I got one. I had a cart full of stuff on Samsung's site and couldn't push the button. I checked BBY again just to see, and see they're price matching Amazon for Total Tech accounts, which is I guess I have. They may match Amazon in store anyway, but seeing it on the screen pushed me to reconsider since I could do it all in person. I wanted to see one again before deciding. My local store had one 512 left in stock. I was able to walk in, hand over my phones, and walk out with it. They gave me $400 for my Duo and $250 for the Note 9, plus the $260 off of the 512 from the price match. My Total Tech account also gets the accidental damage coverage for free, which is a very nice bonus. And I could walk in with my other two phones and walk out with the z fold. I have to say, turning in both phones and setting up a new phone from nothing but backups has been a bit disorienting. Restoration from backup worked well for the most part, but I miss my homescreen layout. I have to figure out all of that again.

Funny side story 1: Several blue shirts walked by during the trade ins and commented. One guy didn't realize the Duo was a phone.

Side story 2: I went to see the new Surfaces (the Go is just so cute! I wish I needed one). I was playing with the screen on the SLS when a blue shirt said "I didn't even know it did that." I mentioned I used to have a sony vaio that did that too and he was incredulous "Sony makes computers?" I told him a bit about Vaio. He asked another blue shirt if that guy knew sony made computers and the kid shrugged and said "yeah."

These BBY kids are getting younger and younger. Because I'm pretty sure I've stayed the same age this whole time.

10. nyb72

I almost wished BBY just employed security guards instead of blue shirts, so I can play with the tech without any sales interaction. If they do price match Amazon, I'd feel safer buying stuff than taking chances with porch pirates.

Welcome to the... umm Fold.

JoeS likes this.