Galaxy Z Fold 3

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by nyb72, Feb 27, 2021.

?

Will DStrauss keep his Fold3?

1. Yes, the companion device unicorn exists!

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. No, he eventually goes back to the walled garden...

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Following up to why I have a rubber band on my case....

Now you may be asking: nyb72, now why is there aluminum foil on your case?!?

As an experiment, I wondered if I could block the nfc or whatever chip on the case that was communicating with the phone.

So instead of cutting the wire, I cut a 1.5" square of aluminum foil and simply placed it over the area of where you were supposed to cut. Without using adhesive or anything, I simply plopped the phone back into the case.

And so, now, my case flap no longer annoyingly wakes the phone upon opening or moving. It also blocks the flap from shutting off the screen upon closing. It also may block your nfc or wireless charging in general, I have no idea since I don't use those features.

But it's a temp fix and it preserves your case. I still hold out hope that Samsung creates a software fix. I still don't know how this annoyance escaped testing on their end.

Marty likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

They should consult MS about annoyances that escape testing - they have lots of experience in that department. :rolleyes:

3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So my temporary solution to a case was to use the silicone fold cover, along with the pen holder from the flip case with the smallest yet stable strips of Velcro I could fashion, one strip on the pen holder, and one on the left most edge of the back case.

BTW: The aramid case wasnt an option as the velcro strips I have wouldn't adhere to it

It look like the kludge it is, but OTOH it is functional. Interestingly experientially, the feel of the velcro strip on the back of the phone is enough of a prompt in my brain to serve as a reminder to make sure I have the pen and don't leave it like I constantly did with my Duo.

I do think the new Duo 2 and it's pen/case solution wins this round though.

dellaster and nyb72 like this.
  4. dstrauss

Not so fast kemosabe - it's still magnetic, and I don't care how strong it is it is susceptible to sheering off in your pocket or briefcase. It also defeats the "slimness" of the Duo which is it's signature feature (well, next to two screens that is). I think both designs (Duo case and Flip pen case) are flops...

dellaster likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hold your fire there...

Only said it was better in comparison. And the magnets are better than you'd think. Yes i can dislodge the pen if I set out to, but "normal" pulling it in and out of my pocket didn't dislodge it. And I think the squared off shape of the Duo helps too as the friction points hit the case not the pen generally.

I will admit I was expecting it to come off immediately when I read about it, but it works a lot better in real life.

6. dstrauss

SILO! SILO! SILO! SILO!...

[​IMG]

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just for everyone's information, it looks like my favorite launcher on Android is optimizing for foldables. Personally I love Niagara because it's simple, gives all of my most important information right away, and is crazy fast. (Rather than using widgets, each one of your favorite apps can have its notifications right under the app name. When you plug in headphones it automatically shows your music controls / music apps. When you have an event upcoming, it shows right under the date. No widgets needed.)

https://medium.com/niagara-launcher/niagara-unfolded-928606673609

[​IMG]

Tams, nyb72, Marty and 3 others like this.
  8. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hopefully this means they will either up the price and therefore have fewer sacrifices or offer two models next year.

And likely with no trade-in offers. At least, I've never seen a trade-in offer in Japan for phones.

I don't think it's much to do with tariffs, although I'm clueless on that.

There's still stigma attached to Korean products. I think it's that the people old enough to be senior at the carriers etc. are still old enough to hold great prejudice. But that they realise there is demand for Korean products.

I've had a Note Edge and a Fold here. Both didn't have 'Samsung' anywhere except in small print on some documents. 'Galaxy' is where 'Samsung' usually is. On the Note Edge they even removed 'Samsung' branding from the battery.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, it looks like the Note is going away only in name and really it's the S line that's getting some axing action.

Ars Technica have some terrible opinion pieces, but I trust them to have pretty decent sources and be confident if they're publishing this.

I can only imagine the rage some of the 'I never use the pen' brigade are going to be feeling if this is true.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Exactly, they remove any connection to Korea. Even Samsung's Japanese home page is called Galaxy. I've never seen any Korean cars either.