Galaxy Z Fold 3

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by nyb72, Feb 27, 2021.

?

Will DStrauss keep his Fold3?

1. Yes, the companion device unicorn exists!

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. No, he eventually goes back to the walled garden...

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would so like you to be correct.

Regardless, I do not hold out a lot of hope for the Note Series Slab Phone (as great as it is).

No you won't. I probably won't either. Mainly, because it is the right solution for a note-taking device.

2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, these are just some rumours. And rumours have come from 'journalists' reading desires and hopes as inside information on these very forums.

A bucket of salt and all that.

But if the S line isn't doing well, perhaps due to only incremental increases, then only releasing a new one every other year and keeping it 'fresh' with a Note inbetween may work. After all, most of this seems to be perception by the public rather than actual changes and utility. Big enough changes like the Fold and Flip obviously catch people's imagination, but so can just marketing as Apple do. And it'll be interesting how their 'you can be a cinematographer!' skit for this year goes.

nnthemperor, Bronsky and dellaster like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If you want tech review overload of the Fold 3 try Notebook Check - it's almost mind numbing...

PS - return date has passed - BUT - still no word from Samsung if they have accepted my trade-in. Was reassured by Samsung chat (yes, I have a copy - detrimental reliance and all that legal mumbo jumbo) that if they won't give me full trade-in value, I can request my iPhone back, return this one, and go to AT&T for the $1000 "bill credit" discount on another. AT&T will apparently take almost anything that will run for this promotion.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. dstrauss

You're right, I probably won't, but you know what happens when you spit into a gale force wind...

It just looks to me like Samsung is bound and determined to abandon the stick and silo routine. As discussed ad nauseum, we are a minority of a minority (is that like the square root of the square root) and I guess we should feel lucky. If only Apple had adopted a stick and silo, then we would be overrun with silo options on all other phones. :rolleyes:

nnthemperor and nyb72 like this.
  5. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

@dstrauss , data point for you,, my trade-in just got approved today, I shipped it on Sept 6.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. dstrauss

Thanks - mine shipped 9/8 but got there 9/9 (from my daughters house a 4.5 hr drive - fast for FedEx Ground). Hopefully mine is somewhere in the que (I really do not want to go to AT&T - I love my contract freedom, even if not going to move service - they don't know that)...:D

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. nyb72

Just started working on my latest graphic arts commission, and using the Fold3 in the workflow for the first time on this type of project.

It was such a time saver to use it for concept sketches to get initial approval from the customer, did it during lunch without having to bring a laptop.

Then used the Fold3 in combination with a laptop with GPU to do a few 3D models and using Superdisplay to do the drawing and composition. I feel very productive with this combo, as I'll use the laptop keyboard to hit shortcuts. I can take a look at the overall work using the laptop screen, then will zoom in using the Fold3 Superdisplay screen to draw the details with the sublime feel of EMR. The pen case has the Fold nicely propped up right below the laptop's touchpad.

The 3D models are all png layers now. I'm expecting to get feedback throughout the day tomorrow, and I can make whatever changes using just the Fold3, without lugging laptop in backpack, while I'm running errands all day.
    Definitely feeling unencumbered with this pocketable device.

bloodycape, Bishop, JoeS and 5 others like this.
  8. dstrauss

@nyb72 - great examples of where we are heading with this productivity beast! I hope the Duo only adds fuel to the fire. Another failure by MS will just get in the way of software and hardware development of foldable and dual screen devices.

Not near as impressive as your example but at lunch got an email and I had to check two documents and penned my comments on the drafts - piece of cake! Of course a sane person would have just waited until they got back to the office.

Bishop, JoeS, nyb72 and 1 other person like this.
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I guess all we lesser mortals can do now is just sit on the sidelines and watch the cool guys have all the fun Oh well!

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

Kumabjorn, dstrauss, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  10. nyb72

That's still a great use case and hopefully means you leave the office earlier. All those little tasks add up IMO.