Galaxy Z Fold 3

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by nyb72, Feb 27, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That was my take as well.

OTOH in the past they have offered way above average trade in values to customers that have bought from them previously. And RUMOR is that they plan something similar when the fold 3 appears

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

The plot thickens... now there's a rumor that the next iteration might indeed be worthy of being called a "Z" with two hinges. If THAT came with an s-pen, I want to be first in line.

desertlap likes this.
  3. desertlap

Yeah we don't know what to make of that. I can see many obvious use cases for a single/dual foldable screen, but beyond that.

My CEO thinks it might be a bit of "flexing" on Samsung's part I.E look what we can do...

4. nyb72

I do feel that with the Fold 2, it has 3 screen sections anyway... it would be far more efficient if the front screen were somehow incorporated with the inner screens to maximize screen real estate. I think it will depend on whether Samsung can make the hinge mechanism thinner and reducing the folded gap. My big question is how you'd deal with placement of the side buttons.

5. desertlap

Yeah the buttons are a great question. According to our main partner in South Korea, the answer might be eliminating physical ones altogether and wider adoption of touch sensors, specifically "context aware" ones where dependent on how you are holding it or what mode the device is in, could control audio in one instance and serve as a wake key in another.

Highly AI driven from what they speculate.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The problem with touch sensors, it would make cases more problematic. I personally prefer cases that cover the buttons (while still leaving them press-able) since it covers and therefore protects the device better. Touch bars would have to have open spaces offering less protection. Which for a $2000+ phone, would give me a little hesitation. I pretty much lost all interest in the Duo mainly because I have still yet to see a single 3rd party case that can offer sufficient protection without impeding its usability.

Instead of re-inventing the fold concept further into 3 screen concept's, I'd rather they just focus on perfecting the current fold form factor with the added benefit of a S-Pen.

7. desertlap

@darkmagistric
    I agree that "smart touch buttons" could be bad...or great dependent on how they implement them.

FWIW I'm pretty sure the more ambitious use of them is not going to be for the Fold 3, but likely a future model(s)

The big question we have and have heard conflicting rumors is around S-Pen support. We are certain it will support them, but much less so if it will use a silo of some sort like the current note, or will require some type of case solution like the S21 Ultra. In the scenario of the case solution, the pen will also likely be a separate purchase and not included with the phone.

PS: We've now heard, that a minimum, the Note line will be "paused" this year and wont have new models in 2021. Unclear if 2022 will bring redesigned Notes or if it will be folded in to the Fold line where something like the Fold 4 is the equivalent of the ultra model in the line, but with possibly a single screen note also being offered.

PPS; The case issue is another thing Samsung doesn't seem to have a solid solution to as of yet. There are some available for the current fold, but IMHO they are more trouble than they are worth. They make an already bulky phone even bulkier and just get in the way in certain usage scenarios. Ultimately we have left our lab unit caseless.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  8. nyb72

IMO, third party cases are inherently flawed with fold designs. I'd rather Samsung just incorporate thoroughly engineered edge/hinge bumpers on the design to minimize the bulk when adding protection.

Currently, I just use the aramid shell case that doesn't add much volume. It's mostly scuff protection and nothing more than that.

I've added a lanyard to the shell, basically kind of like a tether to a skyscraper construction worker. My fingers or hand is looped into the lanyard while I take the Fold out of my pocket. I've learned to be disciplined enough to never have it 'untethered' when I'm using it.

9. nyb72

While currently using a fold2, I'm curious if there will be a hinge crease on the 3, as I think it would be too physically disruptive for a stylus to run over for either drawing or writing.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That was my first thought, but when BestBuy got the Fold 2 on the show floor to play with (not trapped in a see-only cube like the fold 1 was), I took out my Note 9's spen and pretended drawing on it to see if the crease in the middle would be an issue. Thankfully despite the crease being quite visible, while pretend drawing on it, I couldn't really feel it. So the problem of the crease is thankfully just cosmetic.

But the Fold 2's screen also wasn't designed for pen input, With prolonged use's of a pressure sensitive pen, it could be possible for the crease to maybe become problematic or wear out faster over time. And with heavy pressure put down by a heavy use sharpend nib, one thing I fear might be possible would be poking a hole in it.

desertlap likes this.