Galaxy Z Fold 3

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by nyb72, Feb 27, 2021.

?

Will DStrauss keep his Fold3?

1. Yes, the companion device unicorn exists!

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. No, he eventually goes back to the walled garden...

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A couple of nuggets from what is for all intents and purposes our year end visit with Samsung.

1. Samsung sold the same number of Fold 3's in the first 60 days than they sold in the entire run of the Fold 2

2. Pre orders alone, were greater for the Flip 3 than they sold in total of the previous model Flip

3. They made repeated references to both the Fold 3 and Flip as part of the "fold family of devices" with new models coming as soon as q2 2022

3. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Looks like folding devices are not a passing fad as some critics opined. They are here to stay.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Agreed, though the cynic in me also wonders if there wont be an element of we will get them regardless of if we actually want them.

IMHO all the phone makers are facing significant sales headwinds, at least in the medium future.

1. We have I think hit the practical limit in display size with the "candybar" form factor. While the S21 Ultra and iPhone Pro Max are terrific devices they are already being perceived as too big by many. Anecdotal evidence of this from Apple is that the standard Pro 13 is significantly outselling the Max 13, which was not the case with the 12 series. Our belief is that the big reason many opted for the 12 Pro max was the superior cameras. but in the 13 line the pro and pro max cameras are the same

2. Speaking of cameras, until the arrival of things like liquid lens tech, we are getting very close to the limit of what camera hardware they can continue to innovate with. I strongly suspect that at least for the next few generations improvements will come via computational photography which IMHO is still in it's relative infancy.

3. We also may have hit the "good enough" performance level for a large portion of the market. I think you are seeing this manifest in two ways. First is the continued expansion of the software update eligibility for existing devices. Apple has been leading the way but Android (most notably Samsung) is catching up.

Secondarily is the rapidly increasing sales of "mid teir" phones such as One Plus Nord line and more notably the Samsung a series phones, which were by far the bright light in Samsung's last earnings report.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    nnthemperor, Tams, nyb72 and 2 others like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I've been thinking something along that line as well. Unless you have some very specific professional needs, mid tier phones today serve an average user more than satisfactory. Come out with a $450 phone with a stylus and I might revisit my decision not to upgrade. I simply do not see the need for a +$1000 in my personal future.

6. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

The more I use the Fold, the more I want to try a rollable. Being able to have a custom sized cover screen, I think would be a game changer for me.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I find myself using the fold 3 80% of the time folded (Mostly out of laziness). Which totally defeats the whole aim of getting the phone in the first place. While I think it's a great device, I'm beginning to think the dual screen form factor is a better fit for me.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

Bishop, dellaster and nyb72 like this.
  8. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I also use the front screen 80% of the time, hence a rollable where I can change my cover screen width would be great. My biggest gripe with the Fold is the cover screen narrowness affecting my typing.
    The 20% unfolded usage, with Spen, is still worth the additional bulk for me.

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  9. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I'm wondering if I'll end up doing the same if I get the FoldX, end up using it folded most of the time. On the go my S21U candybar phone is plenty large enough for my needs. At home I now have the Tab S7+. Do I really need the in-between size? At those prices? Hmm.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Bronsky, nyb72 and nnthemperor like this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Out of curiosity how would you use a pen on a rollable?

nnthemperor likes this.