Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2020)

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Cuberdon75, Feb 27, 2020.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I got a Super Display Question? Is there a way to use Super Display Wired without using USB Charging?

I've been using the Tab S6 as a mobile third monitor paired with my Zbook X2 and Asus Zen Touch Monitor. Its a solution that works fairly well....but only under the condition the Zen Touch uses its integrated battery. When I try to use the Zen Touch Powered off USB-C while the Tab S6 is Super Display connected, the Multi-monitor set up crashes, since the Zbooks can only power one device, either the Zen Touch or S6, and the S6 always charges when its connected. The Asus thankfully has its battery, but virtually every other USB-C monitor on the market does not have a battery and requires USB-power to run. I know superDisplay has a wireless mode, but it seems a bit more convoluted then the easy USB-C connection. The most preferable solution would be for the Tab S6 lite to run off its own battery power, but from what I can tell from googling it, just the way Android is, that's disabling charging is apparently impossible. Does anyone know of, or heard of any work-around to disable the USB charging on Android?

2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Oooooooo, dex. I'll be refreshing the software update all day until my color nova comes. I'm going to need a bigger desk.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

Kumabjorn and nnthemperor like this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Running the update right now. Thanx for the heads up. Long time no tingling. I need this in these Covid times.

nnthemperor and Cuberdon75 like this.
  4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine still thinks it's all up to date. :( At least I have my other toy to keep me happy in the meantime.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Because my ipad pencil performance is quite wonky and the file system being less than convenient, I have been eyeing the tab S6 lite for Krita and Super display.

But recently I saw a deal on an used S4 for 260$, it has 2.5k Amoled display, usb 3.1, dex support and updated to Android, which is better than the S6 Lite on paper ( LCD is only FHD, usb 2.0). I was already spoiled by the ipad dpi so I hope to get something sharper than FHD this time around, and the cheapest S6 lite I can find around here is around 360$. Both devices has 64GB/4GB, the S4 has older flagship chip while the S6 lite has newer mid-range chip so performance shouldn't be much different.
    Should I just take the older flagship tablet?

6. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I personally would go for the Tab S 6 lite for three reasons

1. Newer model which will have a longer OS update life (assuming you hold on to it for awhile and aren't someone that upgrades yearly)

2. While it's an LCD on the Tab S6 Lite, its an especially good one while the OLED on The Tab S4 is good to mediocre overall notable being not all that color accurate which is important for me at least for things like video and photos

3. Improved internals such as WiFi and Bluetooth over the chipset in the Tab S4. As far as raw processor performance generally, in our tests, the two are about a wash.

My two cents anyway :)

Kumabjorn, crazycat and Marty like this.
  7. crazycat

Thanks for the insight :). I actually thought of the problem you mentioned.
    - about Android version, currently it's Android 10 which is more than good enough for all the things I want use with it (Super display and Krita require android 6, CSP require Android 9). Also USB 3.1 might be able to deliver better Super Display performance.
    - The main appeal of the S4 is the high DPI display. After drawing on my note phone for a while, I find it easier to draw detailed line art without zooming in in higher resolution display, and most of the pen display that is in my price range is capped at FHD. That's why I want it as a mini high res cintiq rather than the tablet itself.
    - about wifi and bluetooth concern, as long as I can draw on it and backup my files, it doesn't really matter the speed.

The only reason I'm still hesitating is this being an used devices so battery might not be so good, and if Super Display can charge fast enough for it's usage when connected.

8. desertlap

Glad I could help. The Tab S4 will get android 11 with one UI 3.1 later this spring from what we've been told.

They are both very good tablets so you can't go wrong either way.

One other plus for the tab S4 is I've seen occasional real good deals on the keyboard cover (`$30-40 range) if that interests you. The S6 lite doesn't have a first party option since it's doesn't have the smart connector.

crazycat likes this.
  9. crazycat

Wow really!? I thought the tab S4 was already end of support. I will probably go to their store to check out the device ( it's a local store).

10. desertlap

Tab S7 Lite coming

Samsung's Upcoming Galaxy Tab S7 Lite Shows Up in Leaked Pics (gizmodo.com)

Several things:
    1. We are hearing late May early June for this one
    2. We also hear that it will be priced exceptionally aggressively, to compete with Apple's standard iPad
    3. In a change from the Tab S6 Lite, it will be compatible with Samsung's (expensive) book cover keyboard.

PS: The rumored inclusion of the 750G chipset is a plus. One of Qualcomm's best bargains, from a price/performance standpoint.

crazycat, darkmagistric and violajack like this.