Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2020)

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Cuberdon75, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

OK... If Samsung didn't bring out CSP to it's devices, I'd immediately pluck down money on this SuperDisplay app because it's better than nothing. Unfortunately, I draw way too fast for this app to not affect the line quality even via USB 3.1 connection.

CSP running native on the Note 9 is way smoother and faster than CSP running on 8550U laptop with 32GB of RAM via SuperDisplay to the Note 9.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

FWIW when we tested it, we got excellent results overall. Performance was close to the regular Tab S6 and while the displays was a notch down from the OLED in the S6, for a standard LCD it's excellent

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

In your tests, did you measure input latency with any pen remoting apps like SuperDisplay or TwoMon?

Reports seem pretty all over the place in terms of responsiveness and consistency, so some hard numbers would be a boon for many artists looking to make the jump to Android.

Also curious, did MS mention if they were bringing pen integration to their Remote Desktop for Android? I'm pretty excited to try the new low-latency app streaming you talked about from mobile-to-PC, but was there any mention of the PC-to-mobile usecase?

4. Shogmaster

I think any of these remote desktop apps that has to go through another OS simply adds too much latency for my usage. If you draw really slow and methodically, you should be happy. I can't personally use it.

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Marty we don't normally extensively test the pen other than verifying basic functionality. We did specifically with the Surface Pro X because of some customer requirements

We were told at the time by Samsung that the pen tech was identical to the regular Tab S6. .

I agree with @Shogmaster that any remote apps that bridges OS has inherent challenges that add in latency (for example the way the vector information is calculated is different between windows, IOS and android. And then you add in network induced latency (and wifi adds another level here too)

6. Shogmaster

Got the S6 Lite early. CSP is pretty darn buttery on it. Very impressive lil tablet. 300 at Costco with fold case is a steal.

I know I said I might upgrade it to S7+ but other than a bigger drawing real-estate, I see no reason to. Its plenty fast enough for CSP. (For Krita? Not so much lol) And if I really want to draw on something bigger to stretch out, screw 12.4" I'm going all the way to 15" on my Notebook 9 Pro...

One thing about using CSP on it though; you really need either a BT keyboard or the Tabmate I've been using. The phone UI was better IMO on my Note 9 than the tablet UI on the S6 Lite...

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  7. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

It's a complete steal. I've even come around to the aspect ratio, which I think suits art programs very well. Right balance on size between ease of use and portability, too.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Shogmaster likes this.
  8. Shogmaster

Quick sketch test with S6 Lite using CSP.

Cuberdon75 and WillAdams like this.
  9. Shogmaster

I decided to return the S6 Lite even though it exceeded my expectations with CSP and is a great tablet, especially for the money I paid... because now many places have the regular Tab S6 256GB with 8GB of RAM as low as $525 open box! Gotdam son! Thats only 200 more than I have invested into the S6 Lite and I can upgrade to 4x the storage, 2X the RAM, 2X the CPU performance, and rock up to an AMOLED screen?!? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

10. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Not quite as price-performance Goldilocks as the Lite IMHO, but enjoy!

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk