Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2020)

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Cuberdon75, Feb 27, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's even more bizarre than that. The different divisions actually compete with each other internally most notably with things like displays and SSDs which is also it's own division. They get thrown in together competing with their OEM partners like Apple and HP.

There is a Korean term for this that escapes me at the moment, but basically its very game of thrones within Samsung

siddhartth likes this.
  2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think these companies are financially independent, and have to be self sufficient to keep themselves viable. If they stop being profitable they get acquired by a different conglomerate. Like what happened when Sony sold it's Vaio brand to JE. I don't think competing would be the right term.

Competition happens when the different divisions have to fight for the same limited financial resource pie of a single company. Like how WindowsMobile had to compete with Surface division, for the same limited resources of Microsoft's hardware division.

Seeing, all this disarray in other companies makes you respect Apple for it's singular focus and devotion to its philosophy. Atleast, Samsung is better defined than Google, it has no philosophy of it's own, just an unregulated marketplace where you can sell your data for really uninspiring equipment.

desertlap likes this.
  3. desertlap

Very much this!. Again I wish I could remember the term ,but it is a method of doing business that's unlike anything in the US or most EU countries. Huawei and Hisense in China operate somewhat similarly

nnthemperor and siddhartth like this.
  4. desertlap

5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

6. desertlap

7. desertlap

I wasn't expecting for us to receive and test one of these, but one of our customers is purchasing 50 and so we will be testing it after all.

This isn't a test report, but more of a hands on focused on a few things that those here might care about.

Samsung sent the Rose colored model (deep pink IRL) which has a similar first impression to that of the blue case on the Galaxy Flex laptop. You either find it quite striking or you wish for a way "to tone it down a bit" I'm in the latter camp and would definitely go mineral grey if I bought one of my own.

It comes with the S Pen in the box, though it's slightly defeatured compared to the regular Tab S6 in that it doesn't have the bluetooth features. However due to a slightly more streamlined shape it actually feels more comfortable in hand.

Also with this pen, it attaches magnetically to the side instead of the groove in the back like the standard S6. I think this is an improvement over the standard s6 as with it unless you have the case the pen gets knocked loose as soon as you put it in a bag. With the lite it seems comparable to the way the iPad Pro and pencil 2 work, eg. it stays on mostly but can get knocked loose.

Speaking of cases, they sent us a matching pink folio cover. The advantage is that it protects both front and back unlike apple's smart cover which only covers the front. However the price of the folio is $70 retail which strikes me as too expensive for what you get.

There is not currently a keyboard folio and I don't think there will be as there are no POGO pins like on the Tab S6 and previous Tab S5e.

The display is very good for an LCD though visibly a step down from the OLED of the S6. Anecdotally it seems roughly comparable to the display in the regular iPad. It's a bit better for watching video due to the aspect ratio, but less so for productivity.

Performance wise, anecdotally using it yesterday, it's good and only really seems lacking when compared side by side with Tab S6. Though neither feel quite as crisp as even a regular iPad.

The storage inside (64GB) is on par with the S series phones speed wise. I.E. its not as fast as the SSD version of the Go 2, but clobbers the EMMC.

To wrap this up, Samsung told us that for all intents and purposes, the S6 Lite replaces the Tab S5e in the line. So that means that you gain a pen, but lose the OLED display and keyboard option . (though the S6 lite seems overall faster in use)

And again I'm reminded how much I like the SPen. Even more so when compared to the Apple Pencil original, though the pencil 2 is a lot closer.

TLDR if I had a galaxy note phone or S20 series and wanted a tablet to go with, this would be a no brainer especially at the $320 price I saw it at in Walmart last night.

And it definitely is a superior value to the standard tab s6 unless you specifically need the features of the S6, primarily the keyboard.

Anyway my two cents for a Saturday morning :)

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Tams, JoeS and WillAdams like this.